did my maxxforce engine finally expire ?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by bzinger, Jul 25, 2015.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    been waitin for this pos to blow up (2012 13 L ) ...so the other day i pulled up to a stop sign and the oil pressure dropped to 0 and the shutdown alarm went off ....oil was level was fine cause id just dumped 2 gals in the oil guzzling pos that morn .
    was in middle of nowhere so i restarted it drove the remaining 80 miles in to vegas and it ran fine with no noises but at highway speed was only carrying about 30 pounds of oil pressure .
    its at the dealer now and havent heard from them yet ....did this thing do me a favor and self destruct ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Since you didn't hear any unusual noises, like knocking or rapping, (other than the normal knocking and rapping a diesel does)chances are it's just the oil pressure sensor. And knowing Maxxfarce engines, it's in an impossible place for a mechanic to get to.

4. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    You are already on a roll. Great place to have a major breakdown.

icsheeple Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    well bummer ! ....was really hopin it was gettin ready to throw the crank threw the oil pan lol

rachi Thanks this.
  6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Kinda' odd that it uses so much oil. I've been forced to (I mean assigned) 3 different Maxxfarces since they began cursing the earth. Not 1 had oil burning issues...just about every thing else went wrong with them, but almost always made it from one PM to another without adding a gallon. I did have one with the dreaded oil pan leak, but it was a known defect and took all of 4 or 5 hours to fix.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Maxxforce spinning through an automatic trans has to be the worst drive train ever made

8. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Do you know where the oil went? Burned or leaked it ? was the oil full during your pretrip? Or you a driver that only adds when the engine shuts down. They got this marvelous device called a dipstick.
    35-45 seems right for this engine cruising down the road.as explained to me oil galleries are extra large insuring max oil flow.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The Maxxforce dip stick is about the stupidest design I have ever seen and therefore very confusing to read. The full range of the oil level is ONLY in the cross hatch! That's it! There are two notches cut in the sides of the dip stick that many customers confuse for low and full marks. These have nothing to do with that and are part of the manufacturing process. Also, the wording "Full Range" is also too far up and away from the cross hatch and many customers fill into the is area too. Again, anything over the cross hatch is over full and these engines will drink oil once they are over filled. I recommend 1/2 way up the cross hatch, not the top, for a properly filled engine.

QUALITYTRUCK and double yellow Thank this.
  10. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    mine is fryin up almost 3 gals a week on a 2900 mile dedicated run ....and yes oldman49 i check the oil daily ...iv had been runnin a gal low and didnt use much oil til just the last few weeks .

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    We have a few customers that are also burning through oil, but they had switched to that thinner 10w30 semi sythetic which is quite a bit thinner. I wonder if that is part of the problem. What kind of oil are you running?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.