dismissal from orientation?

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by Q714, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Brandson

Brandson Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    He gave the best "advice" here, a hint to get the hell away from Watkins and Shepard. Pretty sure swift with their pay raises is better to work for now.

OP will probably see a lot of people leaving orientation by choice. Please check out what you're getting into before showing up. This company has terrible reviews. Lots of freedom though. Don't be a pansy and go there just because you don't wanna spend 4 weeks with a trainer. It sucks, but it will help you.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Q714

Q714 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2015
    I'm not sure if it's as bad as you imply. From what I read, there are good & bad to every company, especially a starting company. But, I do notice that there is less negativity towards Watkins. It's not spending weeks with a trainer I worry about. In kicking off my first steps in this career I don't come in expecting glorification or being with the best of the best. I'm basing my decisions based on the amout of negatives I hear about a company. Hence why CR England, CRST, & Swift were the first ones out.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Watkins & Shepard is the Carolina Cargo of the deep south. Instead of coming into the job with a criminal record, you'll be leaving as a criminal since it'll leave you broke and desperate. Those double hot dog thefts will catch up with you.

5. Brandson

Brandson Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    You have no idea what you're talking about. You can't, it's not your fault. I thought I understood everything while I was in cdl school. Your first couple years does matter. There's no reason to work for a cheap company. What makes you think this place is better than swift? How do you know you can't get into a company better than the cheap examples you listed? There's halfway decent otr companies that hire almost anyone and train. Heck, some guys luck put and get gigs with Old Dominion and the like right out of school. The only good reviews I've seen on WS come from guys that have been there long enough t. Get favoritism to avoid junk trucks, runs and trailers. At that point, it's a slightly sub par otr company that pays probably what I'm making with a year experience.

Don't listen to the crap about earning stripes. Get out here and make money.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  6. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Brandson gives good advice. He's making 45 cpm and he's only been driving for a year. W&S pay is low and the chance of screwing up your record is high compared to other starter companies. Jungle Drums got 30 points on her CSA score because of their junk equipment. Bad trailers are a never ending story at this company.

7. The Postman

The Postman Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2014
    I'm sitting here at the Missoula grayhound station waiting to go West back home after 3 days of orintation . WS uses a third party phys tester they use a complex weight machine to test your physicsal strength you are strapped in and you push pull against the bar the harder you push-pull the harder the resistance after 2 appointments they did not like the results. I have broken my coller and shoulder bones so yes I'm not quite 100 % but I have passed all my other tests including the smith defensive driving test so go figure there is always schinder

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  8. Q714

Q714 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2015
    That sucks to hear. I went through orientation there a little over 3 weeks ago. I'm currently at the Conover terminal.

9. The Postman

The Postman Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2014
    At least I showed up for orientation there were 4 others that were soppoused to be here but that dident show just 3 until I got cut now 2

10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    They also do the push pull test

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Cant speak for WS but I have heard of some trucking companies having like 20 drivers show up, but only 15 trucks available. One job I applied for flew me to Salt Lake then made me sit there for 3 weeks waiting for a truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.