DOT physical

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by shiftyonenine, Aug 22, 2016.

1. shiftyonenine

shiftyonenine Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2016
    i have been out of driving for a while and have not needed a DOT physical. going to swift orientation in a few weeks they know i can currently only do intrastate. will they do a dot physical there or should i have that done before? DMV says show paper work licence updated instantly just really want to know if i should pay the 197.33 or wait and see

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    it costs that much, nearly $200.00 where you go for a DOT?

holy crap. it is only $88.00 here.

if you were to get a new DOT at Swift, that has to get to your DMV, either by fax or email. do you wish to depend on that getting done?

check around for a lower priced DOT in your area.

at least, that's what i'd do. sure swift will most likely send you to thier doctor for a DOT, but by the time you get there, your CDL will be active.

roadmap65 Thanks this.
  4. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I had a DOT a few months ago, it was $95 and that is southern California pricing. I could have gone with a cheaper place but I needed it earlier than they could get me in. My private physician charge closes to $150 for the same physical. I looked at the registry, https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/home.seam, located a few nearby and checked their websites. Most will list their prices.

5. roadmap65

roadmap65 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2015

You should be able to get a physical much cheaper, my last one was $85. You need to get a physical and walk it into your local DMV office and remove the ‘intrastate commerce’ restriction.
    Yes Swift will still give you another physical.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Does Swift accept a DOT medical card you already have or will they require another physical? Better call and ask. Some companies take a card if it has a few months left on it and some companies require a fresh new physical after you arrive for orientation.

7. David_Simpson

Feb 23, 2016
    yes, but China, the problem herein lies with the communications from Swifts medical team, to the students home state for updating his DOT status.

i'd nary rely on any communications from a company doctor or other official to any state office.

it's best he "bite the bullet", pay for a DOT now, GO IN PERSON to his home state DMV, present the new DOT card, and watch them, right then and there enter it into the computer system. that ends any BS nonsense of delay's in his CDL being activated again.

what's to say that he goes to Swift, and they mess up communications with his home DMV, and now he's graduated, but cannot drive, and they send him home?

he will be going IN PERSON to his DMV nearly everyday to check on his CDL status. as no one at the DMV answers any phones, of puts you on forget, not hold.

just saying what will work out best.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I agree 100%. Guess I wasn't clear.

David_Simpson Thanks this.
  9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I only paid $90 a few weeks ago here.

10. David_Simpson

Feb 23, 2016
    answering you first part, they can accept his new medical or not. but that was not important over his right now, no active CDL. in fact, i have never known a mega carrier to accept an outside DOT physical. at least, not back in my day.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. David_Simpson

Feb 23, 2016
    i am "seeing" where an average is about the $100 point. anything above that,( like $125, and up), id' say shop around. seriously.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.