Drivers: Rather a Tablet or Touchscreen Laptop & Why? GPS?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Weeezerd, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Weeezerd

Weeezerd Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Well I've been working for a while now saving up for some things I'd like to spruce up before I start CDL school & have to quit working.

1 of the things I figured I'd like to buy is a tablet. I want one for home, but I notice a lot of drivers have them. I think I would want one on the road. So I'm thinking SAMSUNG as it's a brand I trust. But then I saw the new touch screen notebooks that are basically a (heavy) tablet WITH keyboard.

what computer/tablet/etc do you guys personally have if you don't mind my asking? what would you recommend, tablet or touch screen laptop? & if I want GPS on my tablet/PC which brands are best?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    GPS on a laptop isn't smart cuz you'd have to put it on the driver's seat to view which would take your eyes off the road more, esp at street level.
    I recommend getting a pure GPS. Reason: use a tablet or laptop for business and personal use. Don't tie up extra memory and processes by running other stuff. Just a personal opinion.

G13Tomcat, Mattflat362 and Weeezerd Thank this.
  4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Love my IPad.

Weeezerd Thanks this.
  5. Weeezerd

Aug 21, 2016
    I really loved my niece and nephews Ipads when they were here this summer but I was never an apple guy. I think the top tier Samsung tablets are basically the same kind of thing. The screens are tough & high resolution just like the Ipads. I dunno, I really did love the kid's Ipads. They're around $300 new too, right? hmmmm

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    With winter fast approaching it would be good to have something that might be helpful if you get stranded in the cold. Samsung currently has a lead on the market for things that burst into flames so that might be a good choice.

G13Tomcat and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  7. Weeezerd

Aug 21, 2016
    Yeah I plan on buying a Commercial GPS but I am holding off until I am with a company because I've heard sometimes ya get lucky and your company provides one to ya. I guess if I were to get GPS for my tablet it'd be a 2nd line precaution. I just want a tablet for business actions, web surfing/videos, & utilizing to DL music onto an MP3 device while on the road really.

ALSO: WHAT DO YOU GUYS PERSONALLY USE FOR WI-FI HOT SPOT? DO YOU USE A CELL COMPANY LIKE VERIZON? & IF SO, IS IT SMART TO DO A HOT SPOT CONTRACT TO GET A FREE TABLET?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  8. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    About a year ago, Verizon was giving away free tablets to their phone customers. I was not too interested, but my wife wanted it...so... It cost $50 to connect to their network, and $10 a month for data service, and a two year agreement. So it cost me $290....I knew it would not be free as we had all the info before I signed off on it.

Turns out I like it, and I put copilot on it for $10 a month. It will recalculate a lot faster than my gps would. I only used it for a few more months, as I no longer need it. The tablet downloads all the USA roads, so it can access the info faster than a gps using satellites.

9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I have a tablet, samsung tab s2. I use to for Google view and using truckerpatch app. Sometimes I load up google maps or waze and see traffic or if there's a route that my garmin truck gps doesn't know about.

When I'm not using it for work, I watch netflix or read kindle books. I have tmobile so I hotspot it and get unlimited data for netflix or youtube.

If I'm in a area that tmobile doesn't cover, I have a verzion jetpack.

ethos and Weeezerd Thank this.
  10. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Personally I used an older (now) garmin dezl trucking GPS. Combined with waze for live traffic & Google maps. Atlas and sticky notes before that.

Personally had a laptop for goofing off used WiFi at food places and my cell phone hotspot off my phone in the truck.

Verizon jetpacks are slightly faster but my phone is good enough speed for me. I've used both.

Now if you want yo do routing on a laptop Microsoft streets & trips is great. They have a trucking program you can download and constantly updates.

Some companies have GPS built into the Qualcomm people net...whatever they use to track but it sucks. You'll want your own.

Having a smart phone is pretty much essential for me nowadays with my Google maps (now also waze).

Droid has that installed default. Way better companies Google & Motorola than apple & bing I think. I hate iphones. Too many screens to go thru to get to the same point.

Verizon was great to me otr. Its pricy but if you want good things you gotta pay.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I use Wi-Fi from the truck stops. I use my points so no real cost to me. If I need to get online to check fuel prices, weather, etc., my phone does the trick

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.