Empty trailers take longer to STOP

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rerun8963, May 3, 2011.

1. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    as i had said, the "rules" for stopping are nearly identical in ALL CDL manuals.....

thank you for that, as i did not wish to look up the continuous 48 states CDL manuals (Alaska and Hawaii) may be the same too however.

and as for the bobtailing tractor, i always tell my students, "ask the safety dept or shop, what is the SAFE SPEED for bobtailing our company trucks, and OBEY that speed limit".....

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    i really think the cali handbook on brakes was writen before air suspension,abs,limiting valves were common on all vehicles
    is there a write up on resetting your wigwags as well?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. Rerun8963

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    in some books yes, how to reset the wig-wag, and would you also believe that in the general knowledge as well as the combination CDL written tests, they ask about a wig-wag more than say a light/buzzer..???

i tell ya...the states test by the old ways/rules, and only a few "up to date" procedures....

the books we get from the DMV mind you, was "revised" back in 2008, and not "renewed" since then...!!! even when some of our students GO IN PERSON to the DMV they get books that go back to 2006, 2007,2008..i have yet to see a 2009...!!!

canuck in da truck Thanks this.
  5. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Its a good discussion and illustrates the old school vs the new school practices and training materials.

Equipment has improved over the past 20 years (the amount of time I have been driving a CMV) and so have the teaching methods. The trucks today are more powerful as well as more comfortable and filled with technological advances. That said it still requires a good deal of study, skill and practice to familiarize ourselves with the regs and how they apply to the equipment of today.

Currently the majority of trucks use brake drums even though there is proof that disk brakes are superior. Why hasn't our industry adapted to this technological improvement?

This alone would get rid of brake fade and shorten stopping distances.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have yet to see a truck driver get out with a tape measurer. No I wasn't name calling. I was just stretching the fact the DOT doesn't make up stuff in the manuals. Alot of testing by trained individuals go into writing that stuff.

Not everyone can drive, but it's not rocket science either. Any person can come up with their own thoughts and that's the way it is. Either at 5 years experience or when they get to 40 years, they are going to still think the same way. Most won't brake hard enough in fear of damaging their freight. Get out there and lock em down and take a tape measurer with you. Then you will see.

Rerun8963 and scottied67 Thank this.
  7. Rerun8963

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee

part of the reason for the slow change over to disc brakes is still the cost....i only see disc brakes on fire/rescue trucks/ tow trucks, not too many other class B applications. i have yet to see an o/o spending money on them as well.

but the more they become popular, the lower the over all cost should be...that however, remains to be seen.

jlkklj777 Thanks this.
  8. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    And they're right. :biggrin_255:

Hammer166, SLCTrucker and scottied67 Thank this.
  9. Jay1000x

Jay1000x Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Darby, PA
    Thank you for calling me Dear..... :biggrin_2556:

10. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    There have been times in my transfer that I have needed to apply immediate brake-age to avoid a situation, both loaded & empty. The empty truck and trailer stopped just fine, maybe not faster (maybe, but at least same time), but it gave me a much better feeling than hitting the brakes loaded at 55....

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

My hat is off to your Sir. I would like to do my own test and I should have before I retired. This is why. We drove super tankers that were 85 feet long and ran super singles on our trailers. On the way back to the tank farm we are empty and it was a bear to stop fast without the brakes locking up. That's just the nature with an empty tanker. I'm sure you've seen them bounce like crazy and make alot of noise when there are empty. Anyone with a trained eye can spot a loaded tanker just by the ride. So yes at that time an empty trailer would take longer to stop. THEN they came out with the new ABS. We couldn't lock the brakes if we had to. So in todays world, if the ABS are working right, an empty would take longer to stop but I bet it would be very near a loaded trailer.

Book smarts only get you so far and what takes a good professional is to know when the book just doesn't match the real world and the books need to be updated. Hell, my CDL test had me yielding to an Ice Cream Truck. Their logic was an ice cream truck is going to have kids around it. Sure but what if it's driving down the interstate? And besides that, what would I be doing with a CMV in an area where ice cream trucks are selling to kids?

I's like to see some knew test run.

panhandlepat and Flying Dutchman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.