Factoring % | What's normal for a starting out company?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mirsadvic, Apr 15, 2015.

1. mirsadvic

mirsadvic Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Hello whats a normal factoring fee percentage for a starting out company. I got a company to give me 3.99% is that ok or is there lower for newbies.? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Quick pay is usually a better option ... Use it when you need it, don't use it when you don't ... no contracts that way ...

Factoring/quick pay costs more than you think ... I'd love to be able to make 3.99% on my money ... in 30 days ...

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. Thediamond13

Thediamond13 Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would advise anyone using an factoring company to learn what type they are. Not all of them just buy the load from you but you may end up being responsible for their inability of collecting the debt, plus fees.

Cetane+ and truckon Thank this.
  6. steaburn

steaburn Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Paris, TN
    There is a great range of rates depending on several different factors. Companies who call themselves "non-recourse" will typically charge as much as 5%, even though their are ways in their contracts to recoup their money should the debtor refuse to pay. Some companies do daily rates which look great in the 0-30 day range, but can get quite expensive if you have some slow paying customers. We typically do a periodic fee where you pay X% for the first X days (typically 35-40-45) and it increases X% every 15 days thereafter to keep the annual rate steady. You can also get better rates based on the volume of receivables you have. Factors will typically give an outfit with 20 trucks a better rate that the solo owner operator.

So to answer your question, I think you could definitely find better rates. As someone else mentioned, shop around.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I factor about 50% of my loads. I pay average 3.14%. Luckily after 5 years I am looking at the end of the tunnel when I won't have to factor any more. The cost is expensive if you figure that percentage at an annual rate. If you have that cost figured in your overhead, its manageable.
    Look for the loads the brokers will give you quick pay at no charge. Some charge as little as 2%. Some pay within 15 days. Look for those loads. Good luck.

double yellow and 77fib77 Thank this.
  8. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    This is why you have start up money. Factoring is just tossing hard earned cash to the wind.

TallJoe, Terry270, m16ty and 4 others Thank this.
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Quick question, if someone had a factoring company set up, are they (the owner op) required to submit all of his invoices or only those he chooses to factor? In other words say the owner only wants to factor 1 load a week out of 4 loads a week or something, and chooses to wait for the money on the 3 other loads.

10. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Depends on the factor & contract.

11. steaburn

steaburn Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Paris, TN
    Double Yellow is right. Some contracts require you to factor any and all loads, Alternatively, other contracts allow you to choose which debtors to factor. For example, if you factor a TQL load, you would need to factor all TQL loads. You would still be able to wait for the money on other debtors though.

alien4fish and Cetane+ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.