First Trip to Canada... Delayed

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by MidWest_MacDaddy, Mar 13, 2016.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Greetings from down south,
    (North Carolina, USA)

I work for a company that runs into Canada every now and then so I kind of assumed and hoped that I might make a run there myself at some point in the future.

Well, my first opportunity came, and went.

I was offered a load heading to somewhere in Canada but I had home time scheduled and had hard due date/time to be home that could not be changed.

So I was put on a different load... :-(

But the opportunity will hopefully present itself again... So I want to ask, what does an America Driver need to be aware of when driving in Canada?

I have my Passport already so I am good there. I understand firearms are a big no no in Canada and against my Company's Policies as well so no problem there.

On our QualComm I see some different clocks for Canada so I assume I will need to be prepared to run slightly different HOS Clocks while up there. Need to be able to convert mile to kilometers for both speed and distance.

Please help me fill in the blanks and or any tips you might have to help make my first trip north a successful one.

I want to Thank You in advance for any help provided.

Stay Safe,
    MD

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    A kilometre is roughly 5/8 of a mile, so you would divide the posted speed limit by 8 and multiply by five and that will be close enough in mph. So example ... 100 kph / 8 = 12.5 times 5 = 62.5 mph . 80 is close to 50 mph, etc.
    When you hit customs they like to ask if you have ever been arrested or convicted of a crime. Even if you were arrested and not convicted, they still know about it.
    Your 34 hour reset isn't good enough to count, up here it's 36 hours. Plus you have to carry today plus the previous 14 days logs and show that you have had at least 24 hours continuous off duty in the last 14 days. So one day off out of fourteen. But you can go 70 hours in 7 days.
    Lots of places may take US dollars, but they'll rip you off on the exchange rate. Best to convert your cash at duty free, or a bank.
    Oh, and if you get some groceries at a store they'll offer to put them in a bag, not a sac :)

MidWest_MacDaddy and tinytim Thank this.
  4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    When you go for breakfast, don't do like my ex-wife and ask for Canadian bacon. Yeah. She did. So embarrassing.

5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Yep, triple digit speed limits aren't as fast as you think. :)

Especially important to remember that when you hit the ramps. A suggested speed of 50 for the curve means 30 mph.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  6. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Bring plenty of those cheap North Carolina cigarettes with you. :)

MidWest_MacDaddy and rachi Thank this.
  7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Whenever I went, I'd switch the GPS speed from MPH to KPH on the display since the KPH on the speedo is smaller and not used to looking at that.

My phone service didn't work in Canada and for the few times I went didn't think it worth it to spend the extra $30 a month for Canuck service. Before coming back I always had to have a re-entry code issued by my company so I'd send messages back to ask for re-entry confirmation. Never had a problem coming back to the states, it is a $10 dollar fee to re-enter the states and a couple times the system was down and the border patrol waved me on through after the xray machine.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Use debit instead of money otherwise youll get Canada money back.I would buy a few maps.I have many Canada maps,they really are great to have if you start going to Canada alot.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If you have a verizon phone it will not work here anymore.
    If you are coming to Ontario or Quebec your truck has to show that it can only go 65 mph(or less) both on cruise and on the pedal. With American plates, they will check. Don't get caught with a false log. The penalty is 72 hours at the scale and a steep fine. Change your money at the duty free. Not sure if your debit card will work here (credit will). My debit won't work in the USA.

KingObeat and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  10. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Awesome information... Thanks.

tinytim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.