Flying J/ Huddle House

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by joseph1135, Jun 20, 2015.

1. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    The Iron Skillet has change up their menu in the last few weeks, had a great steak there this week out. The buffet tends to be nothing but starchy junk food and battered meat, but on Fridays there is usually steak & shrimp and scallops. I just wish the coffee wasn't so hit or miss...

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I've had good luck with Iron Skillit, except one time at the one in Beaumont. Good thing I was parked close to the restroom.
    I avoid buffets at any joint -

4. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I like the Flying J hot food. The mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, etc.

5. Warrior Pump

Warrior Pump Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2015
    I had Huddle House once (I wanted to try it). It was alright. However, it did not sit that well with my stomach the next day.

6. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I haven't gotten out Fargo way in almost a year now, but used to stop at the J quite a bit. Only once did I have any problem at the Huddle House, and that's when I waited almost an hour between sitting down and finally getting my food. There was a reason for that, though... the cook had quit in the middle of his shift and the supervisor was trying to cover. Once I finally got it, the food was actually better than usual LOL. Got a 50% discount for my trouble without asking. Their biggest problem seems to be keeping staff. Considering that twice when I stopped there the supervisor was reading the riot act to kitchen staff, I'm not surprised. I'll tell you this: I sure as heck wouldn't do their job for what they get paid.

2Girls_1Truck Thanks this.
  7. VeganTrucker

VeganTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Dixie
    I had a plate of hash browns and onion rings there once. In Alabama somewhere. Very clean. And very nice people. Hash browns were okay but the onion rings were nasty.

8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Huddle House is a franchise, so the quality will vary between locations. That is their corporate problem, not watching their franchisees closely enough.
    If I get a meal that is not in my best interest to consume, I leave the full plate of food there, pay the check and walk out. They get the picture. Tipping if the service was on par(service and food quality are two separate issues). I never complain or send it back. Restaurants that serve lousy meals know they are serving lousy meals. It goes with the nature of this occupation.
    But to say an entire chain of restaurants is bad because you had one bad experience is not fair.

2Girls_1Truck Thanks this.
  9. Reverend Falstaff

Reverend Falstaff Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I refuse to eat the food at the Flying J restaurant (though I will sometimes in a weak moment get a slice of pizza from the hot deli, and in all fairness they DO have I think is the best coffee). Once upon a time the J had what IMO was the best truckstop restaurant of them all....Country Market. But after Pilot bought them, they do what they always do whenever they buy out someone....take out the food that was in there, as nice as it may be (I remember the Big Dugas at the old Gateway T/S in East St Louis for example) and put in a bunch of fast food crap. Then they went "upscale" with Denny's & now Huddle House. Nope sorry guys, you keep insulting us with this garbage and I 'll keep refusing to spend my money there. Called voting with my wallet.

I have been stopping in to the Iron Skillets once in awhile and I've noticed the food off the menu HAS been getting better. Had a steak there not long ago too and it was pretty good.

10. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Big Dugas!!! Thank you! Everytime in pass by there I try to recall what the name of that restaurant was. Knew it was Big "something".

11. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Believe it or not the restaurant at the Flying J in Grand Forks, ND serves great food, don't believe it is a franchise, it was a pleasant suprise

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.