Free wifi, easy parking, and quality food....the local advantage.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Ken Worth, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    The longer I've been driving, the more I've become attracted to small local truck stops with these features. You can pull into many of them at almost any time of the night or day, park quickly, go inside for a good sitdown or even quality deli-style meal, and the owners have figured out how to bring drivers back at a small expense by offering free wifi. The food prices are generally lower there as well.

The other thing I've noticed is many of them have lower fuel prices;...it seems the big boys give you points on your card by charging your company a few cents extra. You have to keep your eyes open in the area your driving to find the going rate that day and avoid the local over-charger, but I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the deals I've gotten at small places.

If you're not one of those drivers who quits at 5:00 , getting familiar with good local stops is a great way to rid yourself of the stress of fighting your way in and out of the national chain lots.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
  4. Ken Worth

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    Just off the top of my head I can think of the two Taylors in Shelby and Mo Valley,Iowa, the place in Watertown,SD, the one in Tea,SD, Stamart in Fargo, Simonson in Grand Forks.......that's just one route. I could figure out at least 50 more if I had my truck stop guide.........many in Colorado and Kansas. I suppose you could list about any AmBest, although some might consider them a chain.

Even the big boys are having success by leaving the locals in charge and just selling the fuel with their name on it;......Albert Lea, Mn Petro , Johnson Corner, Co Petro, and Grand Island, Ne Bosselman Pilot are some of the best. But I'm trying to point newbs to look for some of the good ones that don't have big names and don't fill up at 5:00.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  5. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    That would be Stones Truck Stop in Watertown South Dakota, I-29 x177. I spend Wednesday nights there and you can find a quiet spot anytime of the night. Great 24/7 restaurant with a bar upstairs. Good place to stop and very clean.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  6. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    The Coffee Cups in the Dakotas are great places to stay.

Dirt lots seem to keep some of the riff raff away. I suppose they don't want to get rocks on their flip flops.

mp4694330, Long FLD and Dna Mach Thank this.
  7. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I really enjoy the Coffee Cups also. I buy my #1 diesel at the Vermillion SD location during the winter.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  8. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    There are a ton of awesome small chain stops in Texas, good wifi different restaurants. Lots of good bbq joints.

There is an old truck stop in Teneha Texas, it looks like a crime scene, people smoke inside. And the bathrooms are tiny and gross. But they make one of the best burgers, eat in your truck and you'll be fine.

9. Ken Worth

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    I fueled there in Vermillion the other day.....#2 diesel was 10-20 cents per gallon cheaper than most of the other truck stops in the area.
    150 x .10 = $15

10. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Don't need WiFi have my own.
    I'd prefer a clean place that's decently staffed (not like the Pilots)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.