Fresh out of school..

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Coach Flaps, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Coach Flaps

Coach Flaps Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Baltimore, MD
    Ok guys... long time reader and spectator here and I have a few questions..

So, I just graduated and got my cdl license on august 23rd. I've been shopping around and trying to exhaust all of my local opportunities before I'm forced to hit the road. Before I thought of anything class A related, I've been towing cars with flatbeds/wheel lifts for the past 6 years... so I know pretty much everything about securement... Here's my situation... I was offered a full time position at a local car carrier that is willing to train me... really all i need is time behind the wheel...everything else will come in time. The pay is 21/hr, plenty of OT, full benefits, discounts, raises after 1 yr... not commission or cpm... Do you guys think this is decent? Being a recent grad? Also, I will have a team member/mentor with me on most days, and it is 7 car carrier.... Is this career-worthy? or should I just get my feet wet for 6 months and move on? I still have coca-cola, gordon, and TMC waiting for me to give them start dates.. but I've been dealing with cars for so long that I wanna keep it that way. Any wisdom or open opinions are welcomed... I'm just trying to get an idea or some guidance because i don't want to waste my time if the car hauling industry isn't as rewarding as I thought it'd be.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    That's better than most highway guys would make .. You would be a fool not to take it

Coach Flaps Thanks this.
  4. Coach Flaps

Sep 5, 2016
    Baltimore, MD
    So I'd be wasting my time hitting the road with a larger carrier, basically?

5. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    IMO if you're going to go with carhaul why not do it right and learn to run a stinger. Then after you have experience you can pretty much take your pick from companies and make six figures easily with excellent benefits.

Coach Flaps Thanks this.
  6. Coach Flaps

Sep 5, 2016
    Baltimore, MD
    So a 7 car carrier doesnt have a stinger? I see theres alot more i need to know then i expected. Thanks Terry and Magoo

7. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Correct, a 7 car is a 53' trailer that is pulled by a conventional truck. That job you referenced isn't bad, but you will be worth a lot more money if you're able to run a 9-11 car

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Coach Flaps Thanks this.
  8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I would take it, then move up to stingers.

At least you'll get experience

9. Coach Flaps

Sep 5, 2016
    Baltimore, MD
    'Preciate the info guys, thanks a ton... Def helped me understand it alot more now. Thank you.

Terry270 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you want to haul cars, then haul cars. Forget TMC or anyone else and go haul cars. If it doesn't work out, then move to flatbed or reefers at that time. You'll have many more choices than the ones you listed.
    Have a backup plan in place in case you decide to get out of car hauling. Make a list of where you would like to go:
    Freymiller
    Britton Transport
    Veriha Trucking
    Tyson Foods
    Magnum Ltd.
    Abilene Motor Express
    Holland Enterprises Inc.
    these are just examples, so you can get a list started and keep it updated, make changes or whatever. If you decide to leave car hauling, the transition will be easy because you have a backup plan.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Terry270 and Coach Flaps Thank this.
  11. WhyDriveTruck

WhyDriveTruck Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Detroit
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.