Gaining Driving Experience

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JD56, Jul 27, 2016.

1. JD56

JD56 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2012
    NJ
    Hi All-

Where can one get driving experience without signing on with one of the mega carriers?

Tried a large company and their contract was down right slave labor and if they got rid of you, you owed them the training money close to 5k.

I already have my CDL class A and got it on my own at a school in NJ. But I have not been driving at all for three years due to working in another field.

Thanks for any input and advice.

JD

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Keep looking, some one out their will need a driver.

Try avenues other then the big carries. Agriculture is need drivers this time of year. Construction?

Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and run with a mega to get the experience. But good on you for looking before you leap. Most mega companies pay slave wages. Extorting the driver to pay them after they starve you out is the new alarming trend in these trucking company scams.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  4. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    try a temp agency

5. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I hope you maintained your medical card within the three years that you didn't drive. Otherwise your CDL may not be valid. I think you have to self certify to maintain your Class A.

6. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Like what the guy above said, if u didn't kept up with your med cards, your license is now downgraded back to a regular driving license.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You might not want a Temp agency.

Ive worked a auction house as foreman for a crew of CDL drivers on truck sale days once a month. And also worked the cars and pickups on most other days. That isnt experience. More of a teaching time off road showing the young ones how the olden trucks air start or introduce you to the push button automatic. Either way.

I did go with another temp as a CDL driver and they called me once for 6 hours of yard jockey supporting 25 trailers from a production building with 4 docks and moving them to the finishing, shipping building with 20 docks stacking dominos fashion a mile down a road. Back and forth and again down the docks. 6 hours of 18 months waiting. Not very good. But it did tell me that I can still back a 53 into a hole within a inch as I used to.

Local running a dump maybe. That might be good for you. It's still trucking.

Never mind those mega carriers. I think we all run for one or two in our time on this earth sometime in life.

8. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Knock on doors. The companies that will take you are not going to be listed on the interweb.

It is possible to do what you want to do. I did it and so have many others.

The majority of the people on this site will tell you it's not possible. Ignore that line of thinking.

JReding and george stanley Thank this.
  9. george stanley

george stanley Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2016
    henderson,nv
    very encouraging to hear that

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you have any driving experience at all?

11. Skinny P

Skinny P Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Go to a semi-truck dealership and see if they have a position available for a truck mover. They may make you work in the parts department or warehouse when no truck are to be moved. But the best advice would be to try a company with some type of refresher training and see if you are sure you want back into that life.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.