Get my CDL at a School, or sign with a Company? And other ?'s

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by UsualSuspect, Aug 18, 2016.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    My old job I traveled the world for 3-4 week stints, so being away from home has already been done, that checkbox is checked.
    I was recently laid off and have been in IT for years, but while it is good money when you work, most of the work is being off-shored (India), jobs are becoming harder to find, so maybe it is time for a change.
    The State Unemployment Office will pay me, and pay the tuition, to go to an approved school since I am unemployed, and drawing unemployment, I just have to pick one off of their list. The other option is try and sign up with a company that I sign a contract with. Which is a better route? I have a Class B now and have kept my DOT physical up to date, so no worries on the physical, another check in a box.
    If it is best to go with the State paying, who is a good company to start with? I have no arrests, no convictions, no traffic tickets, and have never used any drugs if that helps.
    My only downfall is now that I am over 50 is my bald head reflects the sun and can cause glare.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Tons of good schools...I suggest when you get into school your 1st week start putting in applications with companies so you can get a job lined up that way when you are finished you aren't wasting 6 weeks looking for work. You will be able to grab your gear and get to work....Our Resident GURU of trucking will be along shortly he is A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE Listen to his Advice...Good luck

UsualSuspect and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go to a school the unemployment office will pay for. By doing this you can hit the road with a decent company right out of the gate.
    As far as the bald head, get one of those hats that looks like a small umbrella and wear it. Can also just wear a wet cloth hand towel on your head; you've probably seen that in your world travels.
    Get the endorsements while in school, especially the hazmat endorsement. Even refrigerated companies occasionally haul a hazmat load.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  5. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    MEET OUR RESIDENT GURU Chinatown....HE IS A WEALTH OF INFO....THANKS BROTHER

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Couple of good companies that hire new cdl grads:
    Freymiller
    Dynamic Transit
    Both hire new cdl grads with no experience. If website has "experience required", ignore that because it means the website hasn't been updated recently.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  7. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Definitely a local school. Most states have grants to help pay for it. I paid 200 for my cdl out of pocket. And got to choose a company that I wanted to go to. It was a 4 week school that started with 3 students in my class. By time we hit the road there was only me and one more. So I got a ton of time behind the wheel.
    The companies you can choose from when you already have your cdl seem to be much better than the ones that offer schools. Imo

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  8. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Lol, you just described me! Although I'm not bald yet I've reached the stage of rapid hair loss :)

Definitely go to a private school if that route is available. Having your Class B is also a big leg up as you'll only need to take your combination test to get your CLP. Having the Hazmat and tanker endorsement along with a TWIC card will also open up a lot of doors and expand your options. The Hazmat and TWIC take a few weeks to get so it's best to get started right away.
    First thing I'd do is decide what I wanted..Tankers, Flatbed, Refer or Vans. Then make a list of companies you want to work for...and set your goals high. Don't get into the mindset you have to settle on a crap starter company. Next I would call your top company picks and find out what schools they hire from...For example, Trimac, in my state only considers new grads that attended the school I am going to.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trimac had an ad recently for a local position at their Santa Clara terminal. The ad said the pay is $80K and home every day. Also had they will hire a new cdl grad for the position.

UsualSuspect and Concorde Thank this.
  10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Kinda hard to beat that for a local gig!

11. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I was looking at TWIC, not sure if anyone knows the answer to this. I have a current GOES Card which required the visit to the CPB Center for an interview and fingerprints. I wonder if I have to go through the process again? It would be nice if all I have to do is pay the fee, they them, use the photo off my GOES Card, and send me a TWIC Card, but then again we are talking Government, so I may have to do it all over again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.