HELP!!! I'm stock in Ft. Stockton, TX

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by AMDtrucking, Feb 9, 2016.

1. AMDtrucking

AMDtrucking Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2016
    I'm an owner/operator of 2010 International Prostar with Cummins ISX
    As I was driving my truck, I noticed that it started shaking like I'm driving on bad road. I puled over and realized that my engine is shaking, like it wants to jump out of my truck. The exhaust is blowing white smoke like a steam train. I found a "Mom & Pop" diesel shop in Ft. Stockton but I'm not sure that the mechanic knows what he is doing. First, he said that it was TURBO, now he's telling me that the turbo is fine. Now he's blaming an oil cooler. Computer show only one error code: "Exhaust temperature is too high" and this mechanic doesn't know where to look next.
    About 1000 miles ago, I noticed a strange noise (not loud) coming out of my engine, but I thought, I'll make another trip and take it to the shop. Well, it didn't happen. Now I am stranded in the middle of nowhere...
    I don't know whether to stay here and let this guy figure out what's wrong with my engine or call the wrecker and have me towed to the nearest International/Cummins dealer? I'm 320 miles from San Antonio and 160 miles from Odessa, TX .

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I know you learned from this experience. It is not wise to risk being broken down on road when you think something is wrong with your equipment(been there a few times not cheap). Did you notice a drop in oil pressure. I would drain the oil to see if any large pieces of metal are in it. You said the motor was knocking hard.

4. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Blowing white smoke is not the turbo.. That would be black smoke and oil on the stack.
    If me I would get it towed somewhere else. Call Midland first and see how jammed up they are..
    Wish you the best in the deal.
    How many miles on the motor

5. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Head gasket

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That truck likely has a dpf on it. Which would catch all the oil or whatever else is trying to go through it. No?

7. AMDtrucking

Feb 9, 2016

8. AMDtrucking

Feb 9, 2016
    It's not that I'm cheap. I just spent $5,000.00 on my trailer repair and had no more money left. Yes, it is knocking now, but it wasn't knocking before.

9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    That's my first thought. Coolant mixing with oil or something

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. AMDtrucking

Feb 9, 2016
    A little history about my truck:
    1. The coolant likes to play "Hide and go seek" with me. Very often, I see a message: "Low coolant". But as soon as I relieve the pressure of the coolant reservoir, the level of the coolant goes back to normal at MAX.
    2. My oil pressure remains at 30 PSI for the first 10,000 miles. Then it goes down to 25 PSI, even 20 PSI very quickly. Thus made me going for the oil change every 10,000 miles. About 30,000 ago, I switched to Mobil One full synthetic oil, hoping that it will increase my oil pressure, but it didn't. This mechanic is telling me that I shouldn't have switched from mineral oil to synthetic on 600,000 miles truck.

11. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Yup, white smoke in copious amounts is coolant, like the guys above have said. Head gasket on that engine is going to run you several grand, I'm afraid. If you're upwards of 800,000 miles on that engine, it wouldn't be a shocker. Bubbling in the coolant system caused by pressure in the engine can cause the coolant level fluctuations you've seen. Let's hope it's something else, but... :(

Also, your oil pressure for that engine should be up around 40 when you're running down the road, and should only be down in the 20's while idling.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Cottonmouth85 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.