How Many Tiedowns Do You Carry?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DougA, Jul 19, 2015.

1. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    After 40+ years as a leased operator with my own truck and trailer,I decided to retire.Am cleaning out my rig,I never realized how much crap I was carrying.These picture are just of my tiedowns,over 20 snap binders,I don't know why,haven't used them in years.Half a dozen are the big old "Jumbo Binders" we used to call them back in the old days.Over a dozen ratchet binders,and at least two dozen chains,haven't finished sorting them all out yet.No wonder my truck was so dam heavy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    I think I used to carry 12 chains, 12 binders, and 22 straps. Also liked having some odds and ends snap chains.
    I think its well worth it carrying some extra weight and not having to stop and buy stuff on the road! I hope you have a great retirement, stay busy!

DougA Thanks this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    That's a lotta stuff dude!

I just cleaned out a tool box. I have 10 sliding winches and 4 porta winches - so not much point carrying 20 straps when 14 and a spare would do!

Bungees all went on the rails under the trailer. Now there's actually room to find stuff in there.

I need some of those 4 inch ratchets you have there.

DougA Thanks this.
  5. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    22 chains and binders 25 strap 4 inch @4 straps 3 inch with hand ratchets. 8 clevis @2 stake pocket winches.

DougA Thanks this.
  6. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I guess in today's trucking world there's not many truckers that throws chains over their load.

I remember when I got out of the Air Force working at a Sheetrock Plant seeing the truckers out their chaining it down them putting to the tarps. That seemed like much work, especially in the hot summer time.

DougA Thanks this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    So what's next for ya, Doug?

DougA Thanks this.
  8. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Thanks guys.I'm just retiring from trucking,not retiring.I just don't like the general direction it's been heading for the last couple of years,kind of a combination of everything.Luckily trucking has been fairly good to me over the years,been blessed,and when it stopped being fun,I decided to do other things,been a really tough decision.I started driving a semi in the late 60's,and have owned my own truck and trailer continuously since 1974.
    I still have my farm,almost a full time job keeping it up.Plus I love working on old tractors,old cars,old anything.Got a whole pile of them to finish restoring.Going to be stripping the paint off my old Chevelle all next week,and now I can spoil my grandkids full time,I'll stay busy!Keep on trucking,and be safe.

blacklabel, Dave44, Streamer and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Good for you driver! Good luck and Godbless in your "new" life!
    Hell, you should be able to get some pretty good "walking around" change just for gettin' rid of your securement! LOL

tsavory and DougA Thank this.
  10. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Thanks!Yeah,once I get everything sorted out,including tarps,signs,flags and other assorted junk,I'll probably throw it all on Craigslist.Maybe I'll make enough to keep me in Keystone Light for a few weeks,lol.

Mudguppy and tsavory Thank this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell

I "retired" in 2000. Got into building and racing sports cars. Currently now, it's motorcycles. All I want to do is ride. Been home 3 months this year just riding the steel horse. Ride out to all the good food joints in North America, have an adult beverage, and grab a motel room and start again the next day.

I would loooooooooooove to have that truck. I would love to build something like that. I've never been one of those museum types. I'd rather drive it. If I had an old car, I would update it. Big brake kits, poly busings, coil over suspension, EFI instead of carbs, forced induction instead of high compression. And I'd drive her out to Vegas. What's the point in having a car that you don't drive? That's like having a hot wife and sleeping in separate bedrooms. What's the point in being married if you're playing pocket pool?

Anyway, post a pic of that Chevelle when you get a chance.

blacklabel and Mudguppy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.