How to go about getting a prehire? New trucking school student.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by survivorman, Aug 20, 2016.

1. survivorman

survivorman Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Hello well been waiting 3 years for this moment. I am officially in school now and should be done within a couple months. I have a 3 year old DUI. I appled for Transam as that is my main choice. My employment history is a bit unstable. My current job, however, I have had for a bit over a year now and plan on staying here until I get trucking. Looking on this website it lists a bunch of companies that hire under 5 years dui. However, most of these companies require OTR experience. Where am I suppost to get experience lol? I realize this is gonna be an unhill battle for a couple years yet and as soon as I get ANY trucking job ill stick it out a year or two. What companies do I stand the best chance with? How do I go about getting a prehire with these companies. I also have 3 other misdeameanors. All stupid stuff but a furnishing alcohol to minors is keeping me from Werner because it is multiple alcohol offenses. Needless to say I've been sober for over a year now which may not seem like a lot, but it sure as hell is a huge accomplishment for me. It was the dream of being an OTR driver that actually helped me sober up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Ignore what the website has and apply anyway. Companies sometimes bend their own hiring criteria.
    TransAm will probably hire you.
    Carolina Cargo will also probably hire you.

4. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Congrats on your year...keep it up.

I suspect your school will be parading recruiters through. Do online apps everywhere. You don't have to work for a company close to you. You are OTR. Doesn't matter where the company is based, you won't be at headquarters long anyway.

Good luck.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Congratulations on starting school and your sobriety..

Curious if your school has any job placement assistance?
    Also, hope your school at least advised to wait until 5 years on the DUI..

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  6. BigGrumpy

BigGrumpy Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Groton, CT
    One year is a big thing! Congrats! I have six years myself and I can remember two days being a big deal for me..lol good job!

7. Jazzy J

Jazzy J Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    georgia
    Your trucking school should of required a prehire b4 letting you into school. Make sure you will be employable.
    I had felonies on my record and an unstable work history but driving history was perfect.

8. survivorman

Aug 15, 2014
    no they didn't yes they have lifetime assistance for jobs and i told them i had a 3 year old dui and the lady said it will be difficult, but not impossible. What are my other options though? Could a class a license and a 3 year old dui get into dumptrucks or tow trucks? Also i've already applied to like 7 jobs this past weekend hopefully will hear something good in the coming week for a prehire doubt it though. I'm a realist and look for the worst possible scenarios everywhere lol. My driving record despite the DUI(got it without having a license) is clean no other moving violations. Is there a place online that i can fill out one application and it will send it to EVERY trucking company lol? THere has got to be thousands of trucking companies out there. My odds ccan't be impossible right? I've been waiting 3 years literally months after i got my DUI i decided to be a driver:(. a couple more years won't kill me, but i certainly want to get on the road asap my warehouse job is sucking the life out of me. So far i applied to:
    Transam
    werner
    decker
    carolina cargo
    baylor
    some A driver placement thing online

where else? i really don't care about pay or hometime.. would like a nicer truck though. And should i look further into dumptrucks and towtrucks? or are they the same as far as DUI's go? thank you.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Are you in PA? Try Calex Logistics.

10. survivorman

Aug 15, 2014
    Yes and i applied i have no idea what their DUI policy is though. Thank you. Is there a website that lists every trucking company? even better with a filter that i can input the 3 year old dui in that would be really nice:)

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't know of a website like that. Many companies don't really go by what's on the website anyway. I still think TransAm will hire you; maybe I'm wrong.
    Try (redleafrecruiting.com)

survivorman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.