How to understand the way this works!!!!

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by Hellhathnoscorn, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Hellhathnoscorn

Hellhathnoscorn Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Before I begin, I do not need anyone responding as if I am not used to this industry!
    My husband is leased on with Mercer, out in CA right now. Committed to a load with SIS from Sierra to Oshkosh back last Thursday, dropped his load first thing Friday morning and has been sat in Reno since. Load board showed him as 9 in position. Today when checking the board he is 14!
    Spoke to driver relations as the coordinator didn't understand why his position was changing and hes not running! This was the conversation.
    It is first come first served there is a driver deadheading 2,000 miles to pick up one of these loads, when I questioned how a driver 2,000 miles out has the ability to sit back and then deadhead to pick up a good paying load I was told six times I wasn't understanding how this works. That being said over a month ago my husband missed a load again from the same place, decided to commit to one the following week and in the meantime did short runs in the CA area, each time he picked up his chances got less to getting a load and it was explained that he was too far out.
    Not only did this guy speak to me like I was a low life with no clue as to how this all worked he threw the Texas guy in there to add salt to the wound!
    I realize this is the way things are done, apparently, so my question is living all the way in FL we should be able to commit if we widen our miles with the coordinator and just sit and wait then deadhead 5,000 miles because that seems to be OK right? When drivers that commit five days ago and are sat 120 miles away means nothing! Just keep sitting and watching your number go from 9 to 14. while all the drivers over a thousand miles can just come and take them.
    Don't get me wrong we like being leased on with Mercer, I am simply trying to make sense of this or was the person I spoke to just a complete condescending jerk who apparently knows his job!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. americanmadetrucker

americanmadetrucker Logistical Engineer

Jul 3, 2012
    Sorry he's getting the runaround. I hope this is the one and only time. I'm sure things will get better. I pray a lot. It seems to work for me. Just ask. God is listening.

4. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Are you relying fully on dispatchers or are you trying to find loads yourself?
    The only thing I can think of is other drivers booking the loads themselves meaning they got to them before you had the chance but that wouldn't explain the board position thing.

Granted I have no experience with mercer. Don't wanna sound like i do but I find this situation interesting.

The mercer guys on here are great and full of information so I'm sure you'll have it completely figured out in no time. There is a learning curve most speak of so don't get discouraged.

CJndaTruck Thanks this.
  5. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Pm spyder7723 and he Might be able to help you out.

6. Hellhathnoscorn

Oct 7, 2015
    We pick all our own loads we don't rely on our coordinator but thanks for the response
    Thank you

americanmadetrucker Thanks this.
  7. Hellhathnoscorn

Oct 7, 2015
    Thank you

americanmadetrucker Thanks this.
  8. americanmadetrucker

americanmadetrucker Logistical Engineer

Jul 3, 2012
    Anytime!

9. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
  10. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

From what I have been told by a former inside person.
    The lease purchase and team trks. move up above the others in Ca. trying to get out..

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I don't believe anyone in contractor relations spoke to you like a condescending jerk. More likely you threw them attitude and because they didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, you took it as being condescending. Sorry, but that's my honest answer based on the way every single person in louisville had dealt with me since I've been signed on here.

Now that being said, i can answer how you can actually climb position on the main board. We have two boards, western board, and main board. Going to try to explain how this works using a made up example.

I load in Florida, for cali jan 1st. Delivery jan 5th. I'm number 50 on both boards. No way am i getting a good load back east. So I'm going to spend the next month running only west coast freight on the western board slowly climbing up the main board as guys take crap loads back east. Feb 1st rolls in john from delivers in new mexico. He is showing number 10 on a load, doesnt get it so thinks he is number 9 for the next one. Two hours later I empty on one of the loads off the western board in az. My empty time reverts to jan 5th so i am now back in the system on the main board ahead of john, and he is number 10 again.

Basically when a guy is working the west coast board, while under dispatch he comes off the main board, but add soon as he empties out he goes back on the main board with his original empty time on the loaf thay got him or west. In effect what happens is when a few guys running the western board empty out, it pushes the guys that just got there farther back. Some say this isn't fair. Tough. Learn to use it to your advantage cause its the way it is. And it isn't going to change. If not for that western board system nobody that knows how to operate a profitable business would ever go west. Freight sucks out there.

Edit to add: yes you can set your dh miles ridiculously high and book freight a month in advance. I do it all the time. I'm booked on loads picking up in Cleveland Ohio in late March. It's up to me to either make sure i get a load to Cleveland, or bounce empty there from wherever i will be at in late March.

More to add: if you show number 10 on one load, it does not mean you will be number 10 on another. Every load is ran separately, very small differences in the preferences you have your coordinator set can make huge differences in board position on loads. When you factor in that we have over 2k trucks leased on here, this can mean being number 10 on one load, and number 150 on another that at first glance looks to be a very similar load.

Even more to add: new folks should never run west until they have a very firm grasp of how the system works here and how to manipulate it to your advantage.

Yet more to add: emptied friday in reno and still sitting monday. That is 1 business day. In RENO FOR GODS SAKE!!! That's nothing to complain about. the economy sucks. There is very little freight to haul in todays market, and hundreds of thousands of trucks are fighting for it. Don't go to black hole markets unless you want to sit a week or dead head out. Cj has been home out there for ten freaking days. The economy sucks. We voted for change, and we got it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    shortcut, Highway Sailor, Ubu and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.