Id like to get into trucking...

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Tacitus, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Tacitus

Tacitus Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I live in the Chicago area.

I dont have the money to pay for Truck Driving School and I would like to get into Truck Driving.

Id like to get hired by one of those companies that pay for your school or send you to school and since I make slightly more then minimium wage I cant afford to pay for the school myself.

I am 29 and I have had one accident (and it wasnt my fault) and two tickets in my lifetime.

I dont have a wife or any kids. I dont have any debt. I dont care about hometime whatsoever. Just want to make some money.

Can anyone tell me what companies train well and would help me get my CDL?

Im interested in OTR trucking as Id like to see the country (even if it is at 60 miles per hour)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Junkyarddog5958

Junkyarddog5958 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2015
    What are your expectations for truck driving, what you expect? Just getting a feel. @Chinatown is forum guru is this department.

Tacitus Thanks this.
  4. Tacitus

Tacitus Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Well Id imagine since I make sightly more then minimum wage now that even during training Id get paid more then I currently get paid.

I also imagine Id get to travel alot but have absolutely no time for sight seeing at all, except maybe on 48 hour resets if Im lucky.

I dont really care about home time or being lonley or whatever.

I dont have many bills, no mortgages, no kids, and no car payments. I figure this will be a good way to save up money after training and the first year is over.

Id like to save up as much as possible and eventually buy a house, rent out the rooms and rinse and repeat untill I have two or three houses then once they are paid off Id like to save for a couple years, buy a boat, retire, and live out of the boat.

My Master Plan. Mwahahahaha!!!

5. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Millis Transfer. Roehl has a terminal in Gary Indiana. Earl Henderson in southern IL. All 3 have cdl schools.

Tacitus Thanks this.
  6. Junkyarddog5958

Junkyarddog5958 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2015
    34 hour reset not 48 just FYI. Sounds like you're open to about anything. I can't say anything about cdl schools. I got my cdl on my own and by research and listening to other drivers I learned all I know today. I still love to listen to others, I know there's much to learn even til you die.

You seem to have good head on you for your goals. I'd recommend while you are single and low bills to do anything you can to build credit up. This will save you money on interest on future mortgages, loans, etc. Get a credit card or a few BUT have discipline and pay them regularly and don't max out and pay minimum. Your revolving credit/debt ratio will be high.

All I'm saying prepare for your future wisely. Simple things now can make huge difference down the road.

MrEd Thanks this.
  7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    You'll be surprise. I heard knight is paying .16cpm

That is about 8$ a hour if u do 50mph

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Assuming he drives 500 miles a day at $0.16 per mile that's $80 a day divided by 24 hours which works out to $3.33 per hour for every hour spent in the truck. We all know he's not going to be getting 500 miles a day.

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I would check into the LTL companies in your area to see if any of those companies offer training. I'm sure the money would be much better if you went that route as opposed to going over the road with a bottom feeder company

10. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
  11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Sounds like you won't be too hard to to make happy in this industry which is good.Those people succeed.But you're not going to get rich.Probably won't be making what you do now in your weekly paychecks so keep that in mind.After the first yr the pay and miles increase with the right company.There is many company sponsored schools and members will list them.Someone mentioned TMC just want you to know they are flatbed

SHOJim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.