I'm 35 but LTL is kicking my A.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Giuseppe Ventolucci, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Giuseppe Ventolucci Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2015
    This recent backache is having me thinking maybe I should switch to Line Haul. You all know there's good and bad days in this business but I think my body is telling me soon I need to quit LTL for good.

Taking a double everyday, handling a heavy liftgate and loading my own trailer is taking a toll.

I wonder if I request a transfer to Line Haul for back pain the Company would accommodate this old gangsta ?

Any of you old timers ever had to do that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    I'm in a similar boat as you, I just have 4 years on you is all. Don't get me wrong I enjoy p&d overall. A couple years ago I was having my foot wrapped, more recent my knee. Most line hauls are at night, I really like sleeping at night though so for me it's a real dilemma.

Giuseppe Ventolucci Thanks this.
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Meh, I was trying to move to line haul for several months before pulling the plug. We had a driver that was going to quit, but then he changed his mind...

5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    You mean quit P&D for good? If you do linehaul for the same company, it'll still be LTL freight - you just won't be the one delivering all of it.

I liked P&D, but I was starting to feel some of the effects of my body aging, especially in my knees when dragging heavy skids or sliding heavy stuff around that I couldn't use a pallet jack on. I recently switched to linehaul and love it, but that has its own challenges. I also have some back issues which I am reminded of while driving five or six hundred miles. Linehaul can be hard on your body, just in different ways. You'll have to eat right and get some activity to make up for the lack of it at work. That's what I'm trying to figure out right now myself.

Giuseppe Ventolucci and Naptown Thank this.
  6. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Switch to line, you will make more money and it'll be way easy. I hate p&d haha I told them I wouldn't do it again. Unloading a 53' at home depot with no loading dock and the freight is on huge pallets you can't even move with a pallet jack. I don't blame you.

7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I've done 2 years of linehaul and coming up on 2 years of P&D. I can honestly say that in the past 2 years of P&D, my body has aged more than doing 8 prior years of military service.

I am getting ready to quit the industry and move on to something else. My body is constantly getting banged up and I fear that by the time I hit retirement age, I will be too disabled to do anything else but live off of pain meds. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. My next job will be far less physically demanding and much less dangerous.

8. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Switch if your company allows. As has been posted, it's a different set of challenges, but if you can handle it, do it.

9. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    If you go line haul, take the time and effort to set up your seat position, steering wheel tilt excc... seat pads, lumbar pillows excc can help, but you will feel it if you don't. Line haul is just local otr in reality most of the time. We have 1 truck i haaaatttee driving, i can never get the seat right, 8 hours in that thing (its a 2015 freight shaker) and my shoulder gets a pinch and my lower back starts aching....

10. carl320

carl320 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Somewhere, IN
    I'm 35, working in P&D (been for 5 years), and I'm starting to feel it in my knees. I can see how doing this job for 30+ years can result in needing knee replacements.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think the route you have has a lot to do with what's being discussed here. Not all runs are created equal.

My last run was about killing me, with roughly 50% residentials and 85% liftgate deliveries.

Where I'm at now is a cakewalk by comparison.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.