introducing myself

Discussion in 'Prime' started by heartlandnewbie88, May 19, 2015.

1. heartlandnewbie88

heartlandnewbie88 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Hi all,just wanted to introduce myself to the members. My name is Charlie and im 27. Im from southeastern Kansas. I'll be coming to prime sometime soon. I wanna get stuff situated here at home before I go. Im really interested in going flats but i wanna make sure the miles are there to make good money. Im going company for a year or two,then lease. Im not dumb enough to make the mistake of going lease right off the bat. Any advice you guys have will be greatly appreciated...

123456 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good luck to you.

4. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant

Take everything seriously & apply yourself fully. Ask questions and show initiative. Get involved. Don't be late for anything at all. Motto there is on time is late, early is on time. Get your computer modules & simulator done quickly, then get that pretrip inspection down pat ASAP. No time to dawdle around. If unable to get to pad, remember, there are trucks and drivers right there at Campus Inn. Again, show initiative and ask if you can go over one. Might be surprised at what you may learn & whom you may meet.

Steer clear of clicks of super truckers that haven't even driven yet & some that have come from other places. A lot of folks (most) that came in with you won't be there very long. Keep focused on YOU & what you need to do.

Best to you. Hope it's a good experience for you & you like what you see.

:biggrin_25525:

5. heartlandnewbie88

Aug 17, 2014
    Thanx...what about the miles on the flatbed side?

6. FullMetalJacket

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    WHAT in the WORLD do you want to be flatty for?!!!! Are you crazy!

Just kidding, all the flatty's I know with us seem to love their job & are a breed apart. And, yes...a bit crazy (but in a good way). I sure give them credit for what they do. Good bunch of guys. One of these days, will go both flat & tanker for at least awhile just to experience it.

I run reefer & just had to get my stab in at 'em! We always tend to give each other some good ribbing.

Sorry I can't help you there, but sure someone will be along shortly.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  7. FullMetalJacket

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Oh, just so you know. There's a high chance that your training will be done in reefer, unless you get lucky & hook up with a flatbed trainer from the start.

Reefer division much, much larger. Thus, many more available instructor/trainers. Flatbed much smaller, so less available out of whom actually do train. (Tanker even rarer).

If that winds up being the case, you just have to complete an additional short securement training after, when you switch. Sure someone will have these details, too.

heartlandnewbie88 Thanks this.
  8. heartlandnewbie88

Aug 17, 2014
    from what im told....flattys is the dark side.......I tend to lean towards the dark side.....:blackknight:

9. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    No flatbedders are the sane ones. It's us reefer guys that are the darkside. Literally. You'll see far more dark nights/mornings running reefer than any other kind of trucking. lol

That said. Good luck in your adventures. Apply your self fully to this. Trucking ain't that hard, but it can be overwhelming. Like anything in life, you get out what you put into it. Best of luck and as always, stay safe out there.

unloader

10. heartlandnewbie88

Aug 17, 2014
    Lol...thank you for the kind words of encouragement.. its been a life long dream of mine to drive a truck.. I just got to get things situated here at home...I have a wife so I have to make sure things will be as ready for her as I can before I hit the road..

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.