JB Hunt... this dog wont hunt!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by hornerherbert, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Jonrulerofearth

Jonrulerofearth Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Hueytown, Al
    And spend the" $1.49" at Lowes or Home Depot on a spare key, then put the spare key in your pocket (it's magic what it can do).

horsecrazychic22, HotH2o and browndawg Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    I keep a spare key zip tied in the engine compartment. Came in handy a few times.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  4. KentuckyReject

KentuckyReject Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Viper, KY
    John Boy sure has stirred up a mess of noise.

5. truckerlife74

truckerlife74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Charlotte nc
    Jb hunt recruiter call me today and guarante me I will make 100k for first year so I said if you can advanced the 100k upfront I'll start next week dude hung up on me and I had a nice laugh going down. I65

Teivel VP Thanks this.
  6. Lynne Palmer

Lynne Palmer Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    They are offering me a job. Have one year experience. OTR I like to stay out for 6 weeks then take 3 or 4 days off so now after reading here I may rethink it. They promised me a 2015 Freight shaker if I show up next week. I work/rrun hard and all I want is miles and pay. Sounds like I won't get it here. Thanks

7. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    I worked as jb hunt as a driver and fleet manager, for otr you really won't make any money, why on God's earth do people driver otr for them when there's thousands of other choices, that's like asking why do people still work for cr england.

At my terminal, regional drivers were able to make about $1100 a week but a new regional fleet manager and planner got promoted so those guys pay dropped to about $800.

Local guys on Intermodal averaged $800 on my fleet. The management was the worst thing about my terminal. They hired other fleet managers straight out of college with no clue in trucking, my ops manager was a clueless idiot.

Here's the problem with jb Hunt, they cost cut the competiton and put decent companies out of work, they rip off drivers with piece work, you will he doing a lot of free labor and their insurance is cheap but it sucks and will cost you if you actually need it.

I wouldn't say it's the worst company out there but neither is working at McDonald's or Walmart either...I suppose

Cat sdp and average joe Thank this.
  8. Lynne Palmer

Lynne Palmer Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    I have decided to go elsewhere. I called there today and asked a list of questions and didn't care for the way my inquiry was handled. Very evasive and the thing they kept saying is "we will put you in a 2015 freightliner. Thank all of you for the information.

9. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    aw gawd 1100 a week big money

10. ElevateMe

ElevateMe Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2008
    United States
    i worked for jb hunt 3yrs, 1st stint, 2yrs....went back 1 yr.....i signed on with less than a yr experience. i signed on to a dedicated acct. management & dispatch on site.....they actually took care of us, but corporate (which has very high security, the corp yrd down tha street had thick security glass, corp itself was invitation, appointment) got wind of this, actually came to our site and busted up tha relationship, restructured everything.....i moved on to intermodal, that was ok also. tha vice president came to our intermodal site, in wa and explained how they were phasing out OTR, how tha rail will fit into future jbh ...at that time averaging around a grand a week was ok for me.....it wasn't until i migrated ( i liked to transfer to different regions for experience, road fever,etc) to regional accts, i started having some dissatisfaction....i quit. came back a year later from east coast to west....regionally assigned. this is when differences manifested for me. OTR & regional accts are dispatched from corporate, dedicated & intermodal are site based. so there's an obvious difference in personal relationships. i've met o/o who liked & hated jbh...... i'd say jbh is a "crap shoot"......for semi experienced, i'd say intermodal is the best choice, you'll be able to see your management/dispatch on a personal level. dedicated depends on the acct, they got good ones/bad ones. i gotta personally disagree with guys on regional conditions, i'd say no. OTR is a no....tha only OTR drivers i ever met who seemed satisfied were long time co men vets, 10+ yrs, and they knew OTR would be limited or phased out, cuz jbh has some financial ties, relationship with bnsf railroad.
    i'd say transfer to intermodal if possible or if possible dedicated. you will need to network and talk to manager of division you want to transfer.
    what i had good luck with, was, they seem to take care of trucks, good road support from corporate (ex driver staffed, knowledgeable), pay on time, cash advances for anything has to be watched, turn in receipts. home time is a problem for regional, if u stay off more than 2 days, your truck will given away. if you quit, they're known to hit your "hire right" with some bs....
    also note it's been some years since i've worked with jbh, so i won't speak on wages, trucks, etc.......nevertheless they are a "final miles" outfit cuz of their relationship with rail, i'd say intermodal would be a best potential for a semi experienced driver. read jbh thread cuz jbh can be ruthless, guess you could say i was lucky there for a while and i did learn more about, reefer, container, occasional hazmat hauling, etc.......gotta "cut ya teeth somewhere"........but don't let none these outfits "knock your teeth out" it doesn't help your record much but i will quit a bad company.....imho, be assertive and be ready to quit on a "bad" company, do ya research, try not to look at this industry through "rose colored glasses"......it can be ugly & trying......get in, where ya fit in.......hang tuff driver.....be safe.......oh! as far as keys go, i think some of us got some stories about keys, you'll find it personally satisfying to stash a spare, rather than waiting for a locksmith, just another learning experience, unfortunately it cost a 125.00...

carramrod32 and Lynne Palmer Thank this.
  11. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Yes do not do it! How you guys stay out longer than a few days is beyond my comprehension but to each their own. With a years experience and your willingness to stay out for a length of time, there are hundreds of companies that will pay you a fair wage, offer good low cost benefits, and put you into a good truck from day one.

Defiantly trust your extincts on this one. JB Hunt employs rabid recruiters and that's pretty damning in itself right there. Nobody wants to drive for them and it shows.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.