Just how serious is it? Insurance & CSA

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JJKid, Aug 25, 2015.

1. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Calling all Drivers.... anyone calling the insurances bluff when it comes to CSA violations? Has anyone ever received memo from their company that Insurance companies are using CSA DOT inspections violations against drivers?

Just now, received a blast that our companies insurance is using violations from DOT inspections to dismiss drivers from the policy. Violations such as "Seatbelt, Speeding, Lane restriction, Logbook violations" ect are used against them. . . . .

I'm sure someone can relate to this. Not that I'm against it anyway - Have someone ever heard of someone being thrown out of the policy due to CSA violations BECAUSE of the insurance company, not the company's choice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The only first hand info I have is my insurance co said no drivers with less than 1year recent experience ....(never ended up hiring anyone)

But I'm sure they would do that....

On a happier note I've fired more than one insurance co over the years.....:) :)

Mouradakk and HorseShoe Thank this.
  4. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    my company fired 2 drivers for speeding. it was each person's first speeding ticket (with my company).

insurance is high now as it is.

my division, we haul electrical supplies and plumbing supplies. sometimes very heavy loads.

one of my pallets alone, can be topping 4,000 pounds.

although not the best of pics, we have 10 foot long pallets, much like this, but built much beefier to handle the 4,000 pounds of pipes

[​IMG]

the main gripe we have, is that the 2 forks of our electric pallet jacks cannot get under the pallet, (from either end) so we must "center" one fork, and pull it out, or reload.....lots of fun to do when the trailer floors are wet, or the loading docks are wet...

our other division hauls automotive parts to the new car dealerships, all different types of cars.

we cannot afford to lose our contracts, we are dedicated and as such, if we lose a load due to an accident, that the driver was at fault for, we can also lose the contract. My company feels it's easier to be rid of a driver that get's a ticket, then to lose a contract, or a highly valuable load.

does that answer your question(s)............???

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  5. TheJrodTest

TheJrodTest Light Load Member

May 5, 2015
    The Road to Omaha
    Yes, but only the companies who have a high CSA/Safety score at the time. When they hire you, they also hire all of those violations that haven't dropped off yet. If it pushes them near or over that threshold for their insurance carriers, the insurance carrier will shut down that hire.

6. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I dont think that's accurate. It stays with the company you got the violations with, they don't transfer over.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  7. G.Anthony

Dec 10, 2014
    driver gets PSP points, stay with him/her for 3 years.

companies get CSA points, stay with them for 2 years.

so they "carry over" when the driver leaves the job, the points HE GOT, they do not just fall off cuz he got a new job.

the new job would know his points, (as HIS points carried over) and they either hire him or deny him a job

8. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    If you got a seatbelt ticket with company A and went and hired onto company B

Company A keeps the seatbelt CSA points and company B does not get any seatbelt ticket CSA points.

The driver gets the seat belt ticket on his PSP report for 3 years, times 3 the first year (7 points times 3 is 21 points first year) times 2 the second year (7points times 2 is 14 points) and times 1 the third year (7 points times 1 is 7)

JJKid Thanks this.
  9. G.Anthony

Dec 10, 2014
    correct, and HIS points, follow him.

for all of eternity.......

or a full 3 years, which ever comes first..!!

truckerlife74 and truckon Thank this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I'm holding out hope that Congress will pull all the teeth out of CSA pretty soon.

CSA is a bigtime job killer with very little benefit to highway safety. People been speeding and driving without a seatbelt forever for example, take money from them in the form of citation like past precedence, but don't take their whole $80,000 dollar job away, that's bad for America.

truckerlife74, truckon and TheJrodTest Thank this.
  11. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    My insurance company will drop me if I exceed 60 csa points

TheJrodTest and G.Anthony Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.