Lift Gates vs Ramps

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Alright lets start here with some Saturday Conjecture, because I don't think statistics for this are really recorded anywhere on the internet, and I'm interested in what you guys think.

When it comes to delivering food/beverages and other products as well a lot of companies use the metal ramp.
    003.JPG

Then other companies like to use lift gates:
    002.JPG
    My question is what system do more injuries occur? Do companies with lift gates have more injuries or do companies with ramps have more injuries?

There's pro's and con's to both systems. Lift gates require the use of a pallet jack usually electronically powered pallet jacks which are expensive to maintain and operate or rent if the company works that way. However they can move a lot of cases in a pretty short time. So if you're a company that does big time chain restaurants and each delivery is 200+ cases an electronic pallet jack and a lift gate will sure get the cases off the truck faster. However sometimes some stops and neighborhoods really can't accommodate a pallet jack and lift gate to well so in that cases it's easier to use a ramp and dolly. Plus lift gates and pallet jacks are expenses and require lots of maintenance and can break. Where the tried and true metal ramp is pretty much indestructible and a good Magcoa, Wise Hand Truck or Magliner two wheeler that's maintained properly can usually take a real good beating, those two wheeler's get run through the mill and they take a lot to really bust. Usually the biggest problem they have is the occasional flat tire or bad bearing. I did have a cracked frame on my wheeler at the beer company, but that was because of the kegs banging the crap out of the frame as I bounced down the steps. However in food the stuffs all in cardboard boxes, you're going to have a hard time cracking the frame of a two wheeler in the food business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    You can get hurt bad with either of them. Ramps, even ones that are ah crap, what term am I looking for, describing small ridges to keep you from slipping????:rolleyes:
    Anyway all ramps can become slick and very dangerous in rain or snow. So can liftgates for that matter.
    But both have their own special uses. I don't believe the questions " which are safer," or " which are better," can have a generic answer.

Mike2633 and misterG Thank this.
  4. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    As stated above both have their ups and downs. A truck with a ramp can haul more product and make more deliveries in a trip. When a liftgate can make speedier deliveries but to less customers. Ramp you can fall off the sides if not balanced. Lift gate you can keep going of the end if you cant stop the pallet jack in time and dont let go. Both you have to be careful. Whatever you prefer you have to be careful at what you do. Guys including me get in a rush but if slowing down and getting it done is key. I rather waste 10 more mins. at a stop then a couple days trying to heal up from a fall

Big Don and Mike2633 Thank this.
  5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Yeah you're right one isn't totally better then the other they both have draw backs there is no real perfect solution.

lee2442 Thanks this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    My wheelchair van has a little fold down lip on the end of the ramp that prevents the chair rolling off the edge - engages and disengages on contact with the ground,

Surprised that tail lift technology hasn't adopted this to prevent run away pallets on jacks.

Just a thought.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not in the food or beverage ind, but we deliver & install office furn and copy machines.

There is no way I would send my guys out to move a 500lb fire file or deliver a $10K copy with a truck that only has a ramp.

I don't know anyone her locally that uses ramps-except the moving co.'s, and I'm sure they have trucks with liftgates.

Mike2633 and lee2442 Thank this.
  8. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    They do have this technology, except you have to lift the tip up manually. I never really used it unless I had an extremely heavy pallet, but if you turn the pallet sideways on the liftgate, and drop the pallet, you can prevent runaways from happening. It's not 100% foolproof, but its better than pushing the pallet straight forward, unless you have one of those long rail freight liftgates.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. FreightlinerGuy

FreightlinerGuy Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Great Lakes, USA
    When I did beverage delivery we used lift gates. The metal ramps scare the #### outta me. The way they become slick and going up/down them with 80+lbs of stuff on a two wheeler.. Scary!

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    lift gates are much faster than ramps (and mostly safer) as long as you have electric pallet jacks.

Take a 2500lb pallet (100 cases +/-), park #### near anywhere you like (meaning bigger truck), pull the pallet out, and put it right near the back door. (sometimes even inside, man I LOVED 4' doors) and then just break it down and wheel it in from there. Cuts the distance you walk by tons. You are only wheeling from the back door in. And safer because you can park the truck anywhere and just EPJ it over. Plus the #### 400lb worth of crap on the wheeler doesn't go flying down the ramp with you behind it.

manual pallet jacks on a lift gate suck and are dangerous as hell. Won't ever do that again. (EPJ's have a brake, the pallet can't/shouldn't knock you off the back, which is easy as heck to do in a manual pallet jack.)

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  11. lee2442

lee2442 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2014
    there
    we use stander ad welcher ramps 12 foot for the straight trucks, 14 for the semi's. all but two of our trailers have liftgates, and two straight trucks have them. for just running boxes and light furniture's ramps are nice. but for those ungodly heavy pieces lift gates are a gift for god.. i think more injuries occur with ramps. (smashed fingers, smacking your head on the lid of the bellybox,sliding down a ramp with very little grit left etc.)

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.