Local CDL- B delivery driver jobs central florida

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Jacob Burkard, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Jacob Burkard

Jacob Burkard Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Hey everybody I just got my class B CDL, and have been having a bit of a hard time locating a job. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, what are companies that are hiring, I'd prefer something in the beverage industry, but I'd take anything. Also what distribution companies operate the red bull, zephyrhills and fedex class b trucks in my respective area? thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Try the post office, they have box trucks that run the mail at night from bigger cities to smaller ones etc.

4. Jacob Burkard

Jul 25, 2015
  5. Jacob Burkard

Jul 25, 2015
    Anyone else have any ideas? thanks.

6. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Anyone else know this guys specific area?

7. Jacob Burkard

Jul 25, 2015
    Daytona, cocoa , Orlando, Sanford, pretty much anywhere around there.

8. Jacob Burkard

Jul 25, 2015
    That is my area, looking for anything in those cities, been checking the job boards constantly no luck so far.

9. ¥ard Dog

¥ard Dog Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your dealing with several issues really. First just got the class b. You a have no experience to show using it to prospective employers. Second and this is just my opinion but a class b isn't anything more than glorified regular lisence. Before people get their panties in a wad let me explain. Class b jobs, what are they and what is the difference between that and a regular lisence? Let's see the the jobs just right off hand. Class b, drive a school bus/city bus , dump truck/concrete truck or any one piece truck. Oh yeah box truck jobs, which most don't require a cdl at all. And the money difference with a b and regular is basically the same. Even more money with regular in several instances. Plus what did the b cost, like 1200-1500$ ? Now your under strict guidelines no matter what your driving, pov or work truck, fines the same and higher. Their are jobs out there, just got to get creative and look. A lot of places hiring don't advertise. Take a drive around town, or areas you want to work. See some place interesting, walk in and ask if there hiring. Never know. With no to little experience a box truck job is probably your best bet. They're always hiring somewhere. If you really want it, you'll go out and get it. This is not the profession to sit back and hope opportunity knocks on your door asking you if you want a job or not. Need to have a go getter mind set to be successful in this. Everybody has to start somewhere, we all did. Look at the ones with good jobs, those are the ones that are successful. I got a cushy job now just because I paid my dues, put up with a lot of crap and went out and got what I wanted. Last thing, suggestion, get a class a cdl. Opens a lot more doors and better money and better jobs. Don't be a one trick pony, be an asset to a company.

Badmon and road_runner Thank this.
  10. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Prolly look into beverage distribution, waste management (trash truck), concrete trucks, or dump trucks. Options are limited because your license is limited. Most places will have a mixed fleet and prefer someone with a Class A.

11. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Have you thought about looking into working in the Maintenence of Way Department for a Railroad? But, not one of the small ones one of the big ones (CSX or NS) a Class B maybe good enough there, because a lot of there trucks are vocational specific.

Also most cities and municipalities only require Class B CDL holders.

City Bus is probably one of you're better money making options. A friend of mine is the head safety man for a Metro City Bus line here in Ohio and you'll make you're best money and have benefits working for the city bus line, in fact I'll level with you had things not improved at my current job I was getting ready to make the jump over to city transit bus. The hours are a little stop and go, and when you first start off you get the junkier routes and have to work the extra board nights weekends hollidays yada yadda yadda, but the quality of life isn't that awful, he was telling me his bus route and it's like drive from here to there layover for an hour or so read the paper have a cup of coffee and then drive back to the main terminal take a break then catch a bus to meet your bus at the end of the line and run for a couple of hours and call it a day.

He said the trick with city transit bus is most city transit busses have over time and you can pretty much work all the OT you want and not all of the OT are the bad routes it's just pop up routes or people calling off or whatever.

Highway Charter-bus though is a whole different ball game that can be tough in the form of trip planning and being on the ball there is a lot of attention to detail that goes into being a Highway Charter-Bus driver it's the bus equivalent of OTR truck driving and the difference is you have a bus full of people not tangible goods let that sink in for a minute and you've got to be more on the ball driving a charter bus because there big don't maneuver very well like a big truck you can't just drive those buses anywhere.

Plus you know the question has to be asked when driving a charter bus where am I going can I go there in a bus and can I pick up my group where they want to be picked up? Then where should the bus stop for lunch? Can the place accommodate my group? Do they have parking for my bus? All of those are little details that need to be taken care of.

Now there are some perks of charter bus, you get to stay at nice hotels sometimes and some trips can be pretty fun and you get to see a lot of cool stuff, but it's also a job and work. You'll be in a parking lot with 4 other bus drivers while you're group is at a show, you'll be walking through the parking lot going can we get out of the lot that way and then from there where do we go? You'll be doing a lot of recon while driving a charter bus ha-ha.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.