Looking for advice in northern Michigan

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BBazzett, Oct 11, 2015.

1. BBazzett

BBazzett Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2015
    I've had my CDL since 2008 from Halliburton. Clean record, but not a lot of mileage experience. Recently the slow down has caused me to explore the possibility of going OTR.

I have always enjoyed distance driving, and it seems to be an option that I think would be well suited for me. However, I really don't know the good companies from the lousy ones. I live up by the Traverse City area of Michigan, and would appreciate some advice, or even general impressions on companies to work for, what to look out for, and how NOT to get taken advantage of.

Halliburton was a great experience for me personally, and I never had any plans on leaving, but business is business and I have bills to pay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Is GR too far? Home every weekend.

4. BBazzett

BBazzett Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2015
    That would probably be my outer range, in terms of how far from the base terminal I'd like to be, but I would certainly consider it.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You don't need to be near a terminal for home time because home time is based on company policy, not where the terminals are located. Need a place to park the truck when home; truckstop, at your house, etc.
    Roehl Transport
    NTB Trucking
    Smith Transport

Most companies may require some type of refresher course since you haven't been OTR; probably just driving on the oil fields. Maybe find something on Craigslist that's more laid back.
    Do you want to run coast to coast? If so, there's several long haul companies that will probably hire you.

6. BBazzett

BBazzett Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Well, my most recent experience driving was driving single equipment and flatbeds in the Australian Outback from 2011 through early 2015. It's been awhile since I drove on the left side of the truck and shifted with my right hand, but I don't think it will be too difficult to readjust.

I'm like to think I'm not too particular. Really, I just want to be in a decently maintained vehicle, be able to make some good money, get home every couple of weeks, and avoid the Northeast and California. Then again, I imagine that is what everyone wants!

I'm quite used to being away from home for weeks at a time, and it really doesn't bother me. Since April I have been working as an insurance agent, and that does bother me!

What are some of the reputable long haul companies in your opinion? Specifically ones that don't have creepy reality TV cameras. I don't know why, but the very idea of that absolutely sends a shiver.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A couple I used to highly recommend now have installed cameras, from what I've read, and they are Abilene Motor Express and Freymiller. I'm with you on the driver facing cameras; that's creepy and I wouldn't be comfortable at all with it.
    Here's some you can check on; make a phone call about cameras:
    NTB has a good reputation in your area; it's refrigerated trucking. I don't think they run Northeast or California, but you can ask.
    Don Hummer Trucking
    Earl Henderson Trucking - guaranteed minimum weekly paycheck.
    Holland Enterprises - one of the best out there. You're a little out of the hiring area by a few miles, but worth a phone call anyway. Sometimes companies will waiver the hiring area.
    Navajo Express - revamped their payscale within the past few days to make it more attractive.
    Tribe Transport
    Tyson Foods - again, a little out of the hiring area, but they have waived that in some cases.

You can try those. If it's determined you need refresher training, Henderson, Roehl, Freymiller all have that. You will need an original copy of your birth certificate.

BBazzett Thanks this.
  8. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    HO Wolding and Halvor truck lines might hire you from up there.

BBazzett and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.