Looking to make more money

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucker42BC, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Trucker42BC

Trucker42BC Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    I been working at Gypsum Express a a local/Regional driver out of school for about 6 months now. I been looking at companies that pay more. Central Transport wants to hire at 19.75 a hour. But I am not scared of going OTR but if I go OTR I need to make no less then a grand a week. I know it depends if I run hard I get that i'm use to driving my entire clock out everyday cause I had weekends off which allowed me to do that. If anyone can point me in the right direction with a good company that pays well that would be great. i'm kinda scared of central transport there equipment is not good and place seems weird but I want to go where the money is not how the truck looks.... lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    What's your location?

4. Trucker42BC

Trucker42BC Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    I live in Syracuse ny. Just got off the phone with a contractor of fed ex ground. Going to talk to them tomorrow he was saying his driver avg.1200 a week

5. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    yeah on weeks his truck isn't on it's side lol

6. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    If you really want to bust your ###, try to get on with Mclane there in Baldwinsville.

...Right across the street from the Gypsum yard now that I think of it.

7. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Fedwrek!

tucker, Longarm and HorseShoe Thank this.
  8. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Freightwipper with a shot below the belt! haha

HorseShoe and freightwipper Thank this.
  9. TheJrodTest

TheJrodTest Light Load Member

May 5, 2015
    The Road to Omaha
    As someone on the Admin side... I would recommend stick with your first outfit for a year. My company doesn't hire guys without at least 1 year experience, and I am sure we aren't alone on that. New drivers that are already jumping around usually get passed up right away if there is anything else in the pipeline.

However, at the end of the day, its a driver's market - everyone is recruiting. But if you want a decent looking resume once you start looking for one of the "good" companies, I'd recommend sticking it out for another 6 months...

hal380, austinmike and icsheeple Thank this.
  10. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I 100% agree with this. One full year from first solo dispatch. Some places don't go off the hire date so you might as well put in the extra two months or however long your training took.

hal380 Thanks this.
  11. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    DOT foods has a terminal in the Syracuse area. They make good money, somewhere in the 60-65K range. Have you applied there?

12. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Why don't you join the union and haul tanks for QC out of albany, NY? So far I've made 18,000 in 3 months been home about 2-4 days a week with some weekends off. Not sure if we're hiring tho although just look up local 294 teamsters they'll set you up. My teamster sticker says Syracuse right on it! Now that I think about it that is a commute. Just get into the union local 294. Benefits are amazing dues 48 a month. $400 initiation paid $20 each pay check until you do guy $400

hal380 Thanks this.
  13. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Holland Enterprises Inc. hires with 12 months experience and trucks have Tripac APU's, satellite TV, XM radio,refrigerator. If you can hang on where you are for awhile.

hal380 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.