M.S. Carriers

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by BigE3, Jul 20, 2009.

1. boone315

boone315 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    black lake ny
    I was makeing $.80 per mile with M.S., He covered everything including tolls. When fuel was $1 gal, I was makeing a killing, especially when UPS went on strike and all of us O/O were pulled to run nothing but FED EX, I ran nothing but Memphis, O'Hare, Houston, Atlanta fed ex hubs, light loads, nothing but d&h, avg 600 miles a day, life was great

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boone315

boone315 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    black lake ny
    before de-regulation, that was all there was was brokers, that was how drivers got their loads, dispatchers were rare, but of course everybody had to go by the book so they could not (supposedly) cheat you but most of them still had their ways to get more then they were supposed to and if you complained, have fun finding anybody who would book you a load

4. KBOOGIE

KBOOGIE Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2009
    RALEIGH NC
    reme:biggrin_25525:ber the freight shaker c/o s they had

5. Bear63

Bear63 Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Northern KY
    MS Carriers was the first company I drove for '93-94. Freighshaker c/o, highly enjoyed working for them. Met Mike Starnes at the Memphis terminal one year during Christmas. He always had a big dinner for the drivers at the terminals on major holidays. It was a good company.

6. Low_Down

Low_Down Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Panama City Florida
    I was with MS CARRIERS back in early 2000 and up till they sold out to Swift. I miss being there.I lost my Classic i was buying through them. I have not made that much money with any other company.

PS... I was hoping someone on here could help me find Tina Murrey from Lincoln,Ne. If you know her Please let me know.
    Thanks
    Daniel
    850-596-2581

7. TheTrader

TheTrader Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2010
    LaPorte,IN
    I too worked for MS what happened was MS merged their logistics with swift,jb hunt,us express,and pam.Swift and JB Hunt took the lions share of long haul freight.I was getting 3400 miles a week,after the merger My miles dropped to about 1700.Mike Starnes got into financial dificulties and swift bought 52% of M S,then bought Mike out.Had that not have happened I'd still be driving for Mike! Best company I've ever driven for!!!!!

8. Double Shovel

Double Shovel Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Tybee Island, GA
    I was a MovieStar myself back in 1997. Kept us moving. I went Atlanta regional but spent 70% of my time in PA, NJ etc. No complaints.

9. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Swift ran those old Freightliner Classics they got from MS until 07 or 08. Man those things were TRUCKS! Beat to hell and back duct taped, riveted, and bolted together with rusty screws. I'd bet theres still a few of them somewhere out there....

10. frdr

frdr Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    houston, tx.
    Since we are strolling down memory lane, what happened to Burlington Motor Freight? They were a pretty big outfit at one time.

Who bought them out?

11. NightOwl37

NightOwl37 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I too miss M.S. Carriers. I started driving in 1998, and I went through their training school. Thanks to one of my brothers who had been a truck driver 5yrs before I started. Although he never drove for them, he did some research for me. And M.S. Carriers was who he told me to train with. He couldn't have chosen a better company for me. From the office personnel, all the way down to the drivers were some of the best people I ever been around since I been in the industry. Most of these companies these days only care about themselves and not their drivers. But need to realize that we the drivers who run these roads day and night to deliver these loads on time to keep your customers happy, are the only reason you make a paycheck. If it wasn't for us you'd be in the unemployment line. And to all you new drivers coming into the industry with no experience, expecting to make alot of money. Although I sympathize with you, trust all of us experience drivers do. Because we all started at the bottom and worked our way up to where we are at now, so what makes you think your special and should start off making what alot of us are making who have put in the years and deserve it. Bottomline truck driving is not a gravy job as a lot of people seem to think it is, yes with the right company and some experience you can make money. But trust you will earn every penny. I know I got off the topic a little cause it was about M.S. but just had to say that. And to Mr. Mike Starnes founder of M.S. Carriers. I don't know where your at or if your even still around, but brother I would come work for you anyday. Thank you for my great experience coming into this industry. I couldn't have work for a better company than yours. God Bless

desperado75 and scottied67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.