Management Without a CDL

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Pintlehook, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    How many of you guys work in places where no member of Management has a CDL? My place of employment will have 80-85 drivers (we currently have just over 70, but we're getting some new business) with 8 managers, this includes dispatchers, supervisors, routers, and a secretary. None of these folks have a CDL, which seems odd to me.

I'm not complaining or anything, just wondering if anyone else has a similar situation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    It shouldn't matter except for the dispatcher.

4. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID

Seriously?

Every one of those managers is going to be making decisions and judgements about how that truck should be operated.

I would agree if you said it "doesn't" matter instead of it "shouldn't" matter.

It doesn't matter because every driver seems to forget what it was actually like behind the wheel as soon as they get behind a desk.

born&raisedintheusa and Big Don Thank this.
  5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    My manager was a driver before but I see no need for a person in management to have a cdl. As long as they know the hos and regulations, and leave me alone I'm fine.

I only talk to my manager 3 times......this year. And it was just the "hey do u want this load or this load?" Type deal.

Cdl is not a prerequisite to be part of management

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  6. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    I agree.

As long they're good at what they do, and leave me to be good at what I do, I've got no issue with it.

dunchues Thanks this.
  7. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    In the past i have been dispatch by a women who doesn't hold CDL, she was the best dispatcher i ever had everybodys loved her she was fair had reasonable expectations and she was compasionate.

Managers dispatchers whatever it is you either have it or don't have it at all!

Having a CDL surely help comprehend what drivers are dealing with, but there is more to the story.

dunchues and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    I've worked for supervisors without a CDL and they were better and more on top of things than the CDL holders.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  9. AbbandonZK

AbbandonZK Light Load Member

May 6, 2013
    Everyone knows what CDL stands for "Can't Do Labor".

10. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Ha!

11. yuban

yuban Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Between 2 Doors
    This is a coin question. Two sides to every coin. I prefer a CDL holder that has been OTR. One with blonde hair and big hooters would be nice also.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.