Maybe Going Skateboarding (to do?)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by BigKountry, Dec 9, 2016.

1. BigKountry

BigKountry Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Eastern NC
    I just picked up a 98 FL Classic XL. Feb 1st i'll be eligible to go to Landstar or Mercer. I wanna turn my new (to me) true into a skateboarding machine. I have a couple questions to pick you guys brains.

1. What will I need? (everything)
    2. How hard is it? (I'm 300lbs would like to get in better shape)
    3. Recommend a good quality inexpensive trailer and tell me why you recommend that if you don't mind.(maybe brands or so and whats good prices on them so I can check craigslist for used ones).
    4. Landstar or Mercer (yes,,,,,,, I know its been beat to death....) and why you recommend them.
    I'll be off the next 2 months learning some things. So, I figure this is a good time to get everything I need if I do decide to go skateboarding. Thanks guys

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    IF your only like 5 foot 9 300 ponds- and you wanna pull a flat-You will
    1.Be out of Breath
    2.Sweating profusely
    3.Huffing and Puffing to catch your breath

But...You'll shed that weight quick...As long as you Leave McDonald's alone

Next- Things you'll need-

Depends on your application and exactly what you'll haul..But here is a small example of my package-

14-16 4inch winch straps(Nothing fancy-You don't need the ones with a chain end)
    6-10 2 inch ratchet straps
    10-12 16'-20' chain and binders- I Prefer 3/8 (5/16 are junk and stretch)

2-4 foot drop tarps- and 2- 8 foot drop tarps

100-150 bungees or rope- edge protectors and coil cuffs

6-8 pieces of hardwood dunnnage- a few sets of coil racks and beveling

Please see your doctor first if you never worked really hard- Flat work is vigorous work and is a daily workout....
    As for trailer- You have 2 very good choices-
    1.Great Dane Freedom
    2.Mac
    Best of luck.

Lepton1, BigKountry and strollinruss Thank this.
  4. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Landstar nor Mercer will accept you without recent flatbed experience. You can call them and verify and IF they say ok they will have their list of required item and will get you the bare essentials. It is a hard job, especially dealing with the heat, rain, cold, snow, wind.

Lepton1 and BigKountry Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    They ran me through their securement class (LS) before I started - (Feb '15), which I found very helpful. I'd already bought a 53' flat at that stage. I had no recent verifiable experience. Not sure if they're still doing this.

Yeah - it can be a tough job, but so much more rewarding than door slamming. There's some good threads in the flatbed section that'll help you narrow down what you need, with tips and tricks - but @stayinback had most of what you need there.

Good gloves, a strap winder, bands for your rolled up straps, hand cleaner, an 'ergo' winch bar, lots of carpet strips for edge protection, LS will want hazmat on your license, though you'll rarely pull any.

My 5'10" 210 lb soft handed wiggle wagon pulling butt could handle it, so can you. :)

TripleSix, Lepton1 and BigKountry Thank this.
  6. BigKountry

Nov 8, 2015
    Eastern NC
    Not sure if it matters but i'm 6'5" haha.... All seriousness though. I've worked hard all my life until getting into trucking. I also was a pretty good athlete all my life and in college, just this last year of trucking I've been in the worst shape of my life.... My main concern is, doing all of the load securement then proceeding to drive 600 miles. I'm a little afraid that I will be tired until I get my stamina up.

Thanks for the list of things, I'll be sure to start stocking up on things.... Because whether it be LS, Mercer, or whoever, I tend to get into flatbedding. I just think its more avenues in Open Deck freight ie Heavy Haul. How much do you estimate I should spend in securement equipment? Also, is dunnage just any type of wood?
    Flat or Step?
    48 or 53?
    Whats YOUR idea trailer?

Are you sure about that, because I've read a few threads and talked to people in groups who say they didn't have any flatbed experience and LS still approved them. My little brother even just got approved to HotShot with my Dodge 3500 with a 45ft Gooseneck trailer and he has no flatbedding experience either.
    It's hard but, I think it would be a better chance for success, don't you think?

How long is the class and do they teach you how to secure different items that we may encounter?
    How much should I spend on a trailer? the extra 8% in revenue should pay for the trailer over time, am I thinking about this right?
    Flat or Step?
    48 or 53?
    Whats YOUR idea trailer?

7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Does Landstar or Mercer require a headache rack behind the cab? If not I still think it's advisable. Get the enclosed three door (I wish I had one).

Can't have enough side boxes. Organize them well.

A ladder is a good idea if you tarp a lot of loads. An extendable 4" paint roller from Lowe's, with attachments, can do much of the high work (like placing edge protectors).

Dunnage - solid oak 4x4's and 2x4's. If you haul pipe you need at least three per layer. I use 4x4's for the first three layers, then 2x4's after that.

Pipe stakes - if you haul pipe you need at least four pipe stakes at least 4' tall.

Coils - if you haul steel coils, get cleats, and rubber mats.

Beyond all that read through the Tips and Tricks of Flatbedding thread. Lots of great advice there.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    blairandgretchen and BigKountry Thank this.
  8. BigKountry

Nov 8, 2015
    Eastern NC
    Why you don't have that headache rack then driver?!?! haha
    Cool deal, thanks for the input, I see I got a lot to learn. Glad I'm blessed to be able to have a little time off, to become a little wiser.

Yeah I've been checking that thread out (I also know there's a search button), sometimes I just like to communicate with the fellow OPs.... I dunno if thats weird or not hahaha.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Flatbeding is easy. Except tarping. Tarping can be real work.

Lepton1 and BigKountry Thank this.
  10. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    May want to double check with LS about leasing that truck on... I heard at one time LS was was only leasing trucks that are year model 2000 and up, and or has a diagnostic port for E-Logs. The pre 2000 LS trucks you see out here are probably long time bco's that had their trucks 'grandfathered' in

May not be true now, or maybe never was... I don't know for sure I guess

BigKountry Thanks this.
  11. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    6'5" and 300 ain't all that bad. I once worked with a girl who was 5'2" and 115. She did it no problems. You'll love it over a van or reefer. I like Fontaine trailers, but have had east, Ravens and trans craft too. Oh and I had an old Lufkin once. They all did the job. Get some good grade 70 chains and ratchet binders. I would go with 4 to 63/8 chain cut in 20' lenght. And 4 to 6 cut in 10 or 12' lenght. Good hard wood dunage, pine won't last.

BigKountry Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.