National landmarks and trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdm5jdm5, May 3, 2016.

1. Jdm5jdm5

Jdm5jdm5 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    I almost stopped in Arizona to see the meteor crater but wasn't sure if there was truck parking or if trucks are even allowed...does anyone know if they allow trucks here? Any other national landmarks or cool things trucks are allowed with parking you guys would suggest

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Uber baby!

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  4. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I've only ever bothered to check the Lincoln monument at the rest area in Wyoming.

5. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    I know one time two of my drivers sent me a picture of two of our trucks with the St Louis arch in the back ground. Not sure ho close they got to it but it didn't look too far away.

Pretty sure you can get a truck to Mt Rushmore.

6. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    You can park at the Grand Canyon, just watch your mirrors when backing. (this is not a serious answer)

7. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Barringer Crater/Meteor Crater is privately owned. Go their website and contact them to ask. You can't walk around the rim and you can't go down into the crater -- too bad, but that's their policy. They have an RV park, so maybe ...

Commercial trucking is prohibited in national parks and monuments unless you're making a delivery, but I've seen bobtail tractors at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and, though it was years ago, I did bobtail through Colorado National Monument. The ranger at the gate laughed and said we'll call your truck an RV.

There's a thread here at TTR about places where you can park a rig. Used to be that you could park at the Battleship Alabama in Mobile; Google it. There's a WW2 submarine there and a pretty neat little museum. It's not free parking; I don't recall what we paid, but we stayed all afternoon. Awesome. There's also a motel there. Probably not cheap.

8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Bobtail tractors probably get a pass as they're no longer than a typical class C motorhome. They just don't want 75' tractor trailer units trying to navigate those skinny park roads lol.

firemedic2816 and ac120 Thank this.
  9. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
  10. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    I've parked a tow truck with 2 cars on it so I was around 50 foot or so long at meteor crater, fire and ice caverns,grand canyon,uss midway,uss alabama,uss lexington,wright Patterson afb museum. I've taken a 53 foot trailer to the Boeing museum in seattle,the Patton museum, wall drug, the corn palace,and down the strip in vegas. I've used Uber for many other things or bobtailed after securing trailer. All I've ever done is parked where the tour buses park after checking to make sure it was OK to do that by calling ahead

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    In 2011 I made a delivery in Tombstone Arizona to their School. I asked my FM if I could get a reset and stayed there for a weekend. I parked my truck on along a back street and walked to and checked into a hotel behind the oriental saloon. I had a blast and did not spend much money either. I did call the town marshal though and asked about parking and told them where I would be, no problems.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.