Need Advice for "Next" Trucking Job, Please...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Southeast Trucker Mike, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Southeast Trucker Mike

Southeast Trucker Mike Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    Hey Gang:

For the past 10mos, I have been driving team for a REALLY terrific company, SLT. They pay well, have reasonably new equipment and have treated me very well. One "beautiful" benefit of this employer is that they pay "by the day", whether miles are driven or not. The reason I am seeking an alternative is, believe it, that the truck "sits" too much for me. I swear this is NOT whining... and I realize that MANY drivers would love getting paid for (all too often) "doing nothing". However, I WANT to work harder, drive more often and be challenged.

I NEED to earn a good income, since I don't have nearly enough banked for security in my "old age". I would like a driver position that keeps me busy... and also gives me enhanced skills. I've often thought that driving a semi in a major city would be "fun" and new. My current situation requires five weeks out OTR before home time- very tough. I don't want or need to be home nightly, but weekends (or every other) would be great. I would relocate for the right opportunity.

Finally... I truly want to be "more valuable" to an employer. I am a "people" person, and am terrific with customers. I expect a good income... but I'm the type that shows appreciation for it by working my butt off, and being extraordinarily loyal, honest and trustworthy. I truly wish I could just stay with SLT, but a high percentage of "down time" is just the nature of the beast with them and I'm going CRAZY sitting at travel centers. Also, five weeks out at a time doesn't give me a chance to make many friends, or "try" to find a SO- and I miss my DOG!!

I have 2.5yrs experience and a clean record. I have a TWIC card and an interim security clearance... as well as hazmat certification and experience, and tanker endorsement. My health is very good, as is my can-do, will-do attitude and work ethics. I'm VERY flexible at this point of my life, and hope you could suggest the best way to maximize my value as well as be more challenged. Finally... I'd prefer to stay away from flatbed, since I'm getting older (53) and hopping around those type loads might be a younger man's game. Thanks for taking time to read this!

MIke

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Go find a private fleet. Your best bet imo

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Where do you live, what money are you looking for?

5. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Look for local, LTL, Old Dominion, Estes, etc

Southeast Trucker Mike Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trimac Transportation Elite Fleet - $100K+

7. Southeast Trucker Mike

Southeast Trucker Mike Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    Hi Mitmaks:
    Currently in Blairsville, (North) GA, but I would relocate for a terrific opportunity. Money... >50/yr, but there are so many factors that would determine an exact amount. I'm prepared to compete, skills testing and interview, for a shot at the "right" position.

8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Read my mind

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Omg you got a great gig and you want to move?

I get the bored thing but if you are paid good and not driving till you are out of hours, you have it good.

10. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Hes a truck driver with nothing to complain about... and thats something to complain about.....

Now thats a professional!

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Another good paying job is running teams with Old Dominion. Maybe get those California turns.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.