Newbie Question: Spread Axles

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by MidWest_MacDaddy, May 26, 2016.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Been eyeing the flat bed trailers out there and what they haul and how they haul it.

Basic question, what's the benefit of a split axle? I think I have the name correct.

Can the be adjusted to correct weights, like on a dry van or reefer, or are they fixed in place? Also saw a thread about 48/53 foot trailers... Does that come into play or just more 48' in flats than 53' in dry/reefer.

Thanks for helping to educate me!!! :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    They are called spread axles. Some are fixed, some one axle (usually the rear on a 53' and front on a 48') slide and on some both slide. The benefit nowadays with air ride is weight distribution. As a general rule a spread of more than 10' can scale 20,000 per axle as opposed to 34,000 for a closed tandem so in other words you can scale 40k on the two axles.

Originally in the days of spring rides most guys got them because they afforded a little better ride however with the proliferation of air ride the ride benefit is negated.

I have pulled many flats/steps with a sliding axle spread and unless I absolutely had to have them spread for weight I ran with them closed, easier to back (IMHO), less wear on tires and drive-line etc.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    @Chewy352 in 3...2...1...

Chewy is the official rookie newbie educator spokesperson for this forum

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    It's not all just benifits fyi. I like the spread, but sometimes while backing I wish I still had tandem

6. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    fixed it for ya

7. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    Catalinaflyer did just fine. One benifit of pulling a spread is your wallet gets significantly lighter the first couple weeks you have one and you get to visit lots of tire shops.

I suggest watching a bunch of flatbedders back into spots and pay attention to how they do it. Kiss 90 degree alley docks good bye. Now that I have it down I love my 48 ft spread. I think I'd have a heck of a time putting a 53 ft into alot of spots I get into with ease.

You can also put a dump valve and/or lift axles on which supposidly makes it easier to back. I didn't get my dump valve set up until 9 months into pulling a spread. Now when I dump it I look like a rookie again. Most of the time I back better without dumping it.

Another tip a guy told me about. When you set your trailer brakes the trailer will push the tractor forward. If you pop both at the same time it's pushing against the brakes and is putting a lot of tension on the kingpin. Simple solution. Set tailed brakes and then wait a minute or two for the air bags to deflate. Then set the tractor brakes.

8. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Not all trailers are plumbed that way.

Cetane+ and Ruthless Thank this.
  9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    We use them for hauling live animals and poultry, and simply because of being able to scale more weight legally. In Iowa and Minnesota, and other states, although I don't know the particulars outside this immediate area, we can have 86 k on 5 axles as long as we aren't on the Interstate system.

They tend to steer with the axle most heavily loaded, and on bumpy terrain, they are very hard to back.

I would prefer to dump the front axle, because weight transfers wrong for traction in slippery conditions dumping the rear axle, and that tail swing is dangerous.

Our trailers no longer have dump valves enabled, and we stopped installing recaps, they have settled on a tire brand that seems to stand up, and are disciplining drivers, including shaggers who were abusive while turning. Always make turns as gradually as possible, especially without a suspension axle dump valve.

The trailers have more wind drag with spreads, although they had plenty with tandems, too.

Shorter spreads are used with less advantage for weight carrying and less disadvantage for turning.

No one has mentioned Canada and California, yet, either, and those areas make using spreads more complicated.

Chewy352 Thanks this.
  10. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    When you get the hang of a spread axle with a rear dump valve you can steer the wagon with the dump easier than a closed tandem. But it takes practice.

RERM, TripleSix and 1johnb Thank this.
  11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Our shop guys did a little shagging at the plant, one of them goofed, and they tried to blame me, until I was able to prove I wasn't hooked to the trailer, and one of them did it.

Really simple to work around, we had them hooked to the lights to get power. Just shut the lights off when you had it lined up with a bay, and it would air up and back straight in.

They had to hook up the lights to use the dump axle with a shag truck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.