Newbie question, what dipsticks are these?

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by Fredy, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Hi all and thanks for taking a look. I am really new to mack trucks and just wanted to be sure about these dipsticks on a 02 CV713. The big one is the motor oil and yellow is transmission correct?

The big, metal is supposed to be
    http://www.raneystruckparts.com/mack-engine-oil-dipstick-795gb377a/
    Because mine its just a metal cap.

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The yellow is the dipstick, the metal is ths cap for the place you add oil...it has a rubber plug that expands when you tighten the "t" handle. At least that is what it looks like from the pic.

Fredy and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think the yellow is the dipstick and the large metal cap is where you add oil for sure.

Im leery of that yellow dipstick... probably because you have this huge oil fill cap that needs screwing tight to prevent oil loss by the gallon (Been there done that) And then this little dipstick with nothing securing it except a little tension on the punch handle.

Fredy Thanks this.
  5. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Ok great, now I need to find the transmission oil dipstick. Any idea where that might be around this truck?

6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I will spend some time googling for the truck's owners manual, you would think if you have this manual will be able to answer these questions.

Im having second thoughts about my post. Go see if you got a manual in that truck, if you do that book should tell you exactly what is what. It goes to show the Net is not always precise in answers.

I'll get back to you.

7. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Thanks x1Heavy for the advice. I have googled and even bought the original manual since I couldnt find it online. It seems these trucks came with other manuals dedicated to maintenance and it costs $$ direct from Mack.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

The 09 mack i had with the M8, had no transmission dipstick. It was an auto, I don't know if that matters in your situation.

The 2004 Columbia I have now with the 455 cat, also has no transmission dipstick. It was originally an auto later converted to a manual. Still no dip stick for transmission.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but in the two cases of my trucks, the transmission worked off the engine oil?

Maybe that is the OP's case?

9. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    The truck has a Eaton-Fuller 8LL trans and it seems it would have its own oil supply based on other posts Ive seen.

10. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Does it have a trans oil fill port?

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh. Forgot about that. Sheesh.

I'll have to do some thinking about these oil and transmission things. The only automatic we ever had in my life was a 2001 century that year brand new. We never touched anything related to that transmission that year such as dipsticks if any in that truck. We did check the engine oil certainly routinely. But I was thinking back to that year and realized that even though we were towed twice for a automatic software bufffer over flow (Because we never shut down as a team, computer in transmission essentially blue screened on us when the buffer filled.) we never touched anything like a dipstick for the auto. If there was a problem with oil levels the computer would inform the shop over the qualcomm among other things.

Wonders of technology yes. But it made me stupid hence my trouble with your question regarding transmission dipsticks. I hope this helps you understand my position.

Fredy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.