Passengers with swift drivers

Discussion in 'Swift' started by cornfuzzled, Oct 7, 2010.

1. cornfuzzled

cornfuzzled Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2010
    This goes out to the Swift guys already out driving solo. Whats the policy on bringing a passenger, for example bringing along the wife? I would like to hear some experiences with bringing a non driving buddy along for the ride.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    You'd have to fill out some paperwork, the person coming along has to show their ID and if they have a CDL must give it up for their time on the truck with you. The passenger must also attest that they are not pregnant. $30 per month per passenger fee (insurance?).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. Wyldfyur

Wyldfyur Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Lewiston, ID
    That is correct. Hubby had to pay 1 dollar a day for insurance.

5. jrf7

jrf7 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    After you get your truck, can you have passengers immediately or is there a wait time (6 months, 3?). I am starting orientation on 10/12 in Atlanta, so don't know what to expect. Thanks.

6. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    When I was company, there wasn't a wait time after you got your own truck. Things may have changed since then. Minimum age for a rider was 12 years. After you sign up for the insurance, they will continue taking it out of your pay until you cancel it. So, if you have the wife on the truck, there's $30/mo, then you want to bring Cousin Billy out but don't cancel the insurance for wife, $60. Aw, not your nepphew is giving grief to your sister and she needs a break but, again, you don't cancel the insurance, now you're up to $90.

Be careful of cabin fever. It's not the same as being in the house with her all the time. You are cramming two people into a space the size of your average bathroom for 24/7 with not really much to do but look out the window and bicker. Three years ago, I had my ex-husband out with me for a week. Did I mention he's now my EX-husband? 'Nuff said.

7. dragonmatrix

dragonmatrix Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV.
    There is no wait time, you may have a rider once you get your own truck. I did ask to make sure my wife could ride with me after I get my truck.

jrf7 Thanks this.
  8. cornfuzzled

cornfuzzled Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2010

Wow that clears up some things for me, thanks Injun!

9. DickJones

DickJones Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2010
    As far as a pet, there are a few company drivers who are 'grand-fathered' in who use to work for swift when they did allow pets. There are some company drivers who sneak them on (who will end up terminated if the company does a little investigation). Lease/Ops can have a pet regardless. But if you do have a pet, you have to show its vacination paperwork, and provide a photo of said pet. and i think there is insurance for pets too, but not sure. maybe it is just a one time fee. I'm leaning more toward a fee.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. sandywyo

sandywyo Bobtail Member

May 29, 2010
    springfield or
    so about the pets you pay a one time fee and you can have a pet on your truck? we were told you could have pets but had to pay. on our papers they sent out it also says pets allowed. so now i guess i don't under what the grandfather things is. did they change there rules in the last 3 weeks?

11. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    Do the passengers receive hazardous pay, or anything like that ??

And do they ever go willingly ??

So much to learn here !!!!!!!

alghazi and Schmidtrock Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.