Pepsico Takes Forever

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by NatureGirl22, Apr 9, 2015.

1. NatureGirl22

NatureGirl22 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2014
    My trucker guy and I have been noticing a trend. Every time we pull into a PepsiCo establishment, we end up waiting for several hours. It doesn't matter if we are on time for our appointment; we still end up waiting forever! They don't have enough people working their docks. They will have multiple docks, but are using only a few.

Also, they do not give decent directions to their plants. We were given an address that did not register on either of our two GPS systems. It was for the Scottsburg, IN plant. When I called the given phone number to get directions, I reached an automated system, so I punched in the correct extension for the operator. I tried this multiple times; however, it seems the operator is on permanent sabbatical! I called the directions line and received directions...to the wrong facility. When we arrived, we were informed that we were actually twenty minutes away from the correct place. This caused us to miss our appointment time, of course.

At one of their places in PA, we were left sitting for an hour in their parking lot. When we docked, it took the dock worker three hours to load us! The person actually loaded us most of the way, then left to go on break. When he returned from break, it took him more time to finish loading us.

This is incredibly frustrating.

CargoWahgo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 48stater

48stater Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I gave up on Pepsi a couple of years ago. Between the wait times (I've been to a dozen or more over the years, Scottsburg included) at the various docks, the poorly loaded and shrink wrapped freight and the surly people at the docks, just not worth the trouble. Like quite a few mega companies, they act like they're doing you a favor "allowing" you to haul their freight.

NatureGirl22 Thanks this.
  4. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I was once stuck all day at Pepsi in Orlando, FL because my appointment was a last minute "write in" by a manager at the warehouse. We were lined up and down the street illegally. County sheriff's deputy showed up and chewed out the guardshack for having us park on the street. I saw him tell the supervisor that they needed to provide parking or next time he'd start writing tickets, not to the drivers but Pepsi. We all had a snicker over that.

At first they refused to give me a detention form until the broker was able to produce the email from the company executive authorizing my load.

Another time I was dispatched to a pickup at Pepsi in Wichita, KS. Checked in and found out there were at a minimum 24 hours behind on appointments. My load delivered in Ohio and if I didn't make it by Friday I wouldn't get unloaded until Monday. They were cutting $1500 detention pay receipts. In the morning I was told I "might" get a dock by 3pm. No way I'd make delivery by Friday. Vicky, the HBIC of dispatch told me to leave as she found a load from Wichita to Ft. Worth. Empty beer kegs from a Miller Coors distributor going back to the Brewery. I was loaded and halfway to Ft. Worth when they called me to give me a dock. [emoji4]

Last week I was stuck for 7 hours at a PepsiCo warehouse in Tolleson, AZ picking up a load that was originally dispatched for pickup on Saturday (was there Monday).

I told my dispatcher that I used to work for Pepsi. If it says PepsiCo, Quaker or Gatorade anywhere on the load information, run!

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    The PepsiCo in Elizabeth NJ is the exception to the rule here. That one must be run by someone else.

6. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    coke in waco is the same way

7. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    I've never had any problems getting loaded in a reasonable time at Coke in Waco but I have had words with the guards twice. You can not show up more that 30 minutes early (the broker showed the appointment 30 min early) so I showed up about an hour early and they told me to leave which I thought was dumb. The next time I knew the 30 min deal and it was an early evening load time so I pulled on the gravel shoulder to wait about an hour before my appointment. The guard comes around and tells me I can't park there even though there are no signs and when I argued they threatened to call the law on me. It's not far from the Flying J but you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting parking there after dark. In general all beverage plants seem to be a pain in the neck in one way or the other and the loads are almost always super heavy. Not worth it.

8. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Lmfao!!!!

Op I'm sorry...

I know scottsburgs facility all too well.

The plant is in Austin down the road from fuelmart and the warehouse is across from multicolor with the tiny ### sign on the building. (I'm sure you know) (scottsburg)

The mgr at that place has been mgr of 25 dept doesn't have a clue about logistics. But "he is tough but fair" lol. Does he know if the trucks have mirrors on their hood? No. Does he ride with and evaluate them? Yes. Yes he does.

The guys that shuttle trls from the plant to warehouse make bank. The Pepsi drivers themselves make $50 per trip....pathetic seeing how you go to ft Wayne or elizabethtown ky and back...
    Less than minimum wage....hell road.

Its just a all around bad outfit for all employees there.

Too bad you should a posted earlier I could have helped you out!!

You can park at the Walmart or behind ponderosa if you ever come back thru...avoid Austin it makes Gary look good.

The Man said Ride Thanks this.
  9. Newbeav Newbie

Newbeav Newbie Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Welcome to trucking. What you are describing is very common for OTR truckers. The driver has no control over the situation. Does your company pay detention?

10. NatureGirl22

NatureGirl22 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Our company does pay detention. I just think it's ridiculous. And 48stater is right: these big companies act like they're doing you a favor, when it's their load we're hauling! I saw a shirt at a truck stop that I wish I'd had when we went to PepsiCo. I would've worn it and told the people there to read the back. It said: "I'm here to haul your load, not take your crap." Somebody should remind them that, if truckers refused to haul their precious products, those products wouldn't get out to store shelves. They wouldn't be getting a paycheck if no one could buy them, right?

As it is, when the guy finally came up to tell us we could load, he had this stupid smirk on his face. That is, until my trucker guy asked the guy if he'd let us sit for another hour because we were getting some killer detention pay off them. That's when the guy on the docks was like, "You gotta get in that door RIGHT NOW!" I couldn't help but laugh!! That dock worker thought he had one over on us, but he sure sobered up when he heard that! LOL

11. Newbeav Newbie

Newbeav Newbie Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    dont take this wrong, but if you can't let this stuff go, you are not suited for this industry. Sarcasm does not play well. If you have an issue, call your dispatcher and get customer service involved.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.