Petro Mebane NC. Bad Neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Studebaker Hawk, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I haven't been here for a while, and maybe the fact that one of the drivers in our fleet got shot recently trying to deliver a trailer has made me uh, security conscious (paranoid).
    Is this the only Petro that has bulletproof glass surrounding the fuel island cashiers? And little pass thru turntables for exchanging paperwork, you know like a check cashing joint in the inner city.

A few rhetorical questions:
    1. If security is an issue here for some of their employees ( the deli counter is wide open) why not important for all of their employees.
    2. And how about the security of the traveling public, or truck drivers that generate the revenue for this concern? I see little white pickups with yellow lights at Walmart, but I didn't see one at this Petro.
    Even Bordentown doesn't have bulletproof glass, halfway between NY and Phila.
    3. Should I consider going to a company that has hazardous duty pay?
    4. The NC DOT hass 2 scales within 2 miles of this location with an abundance of state troopers who would be able to respond quickly to any emergency (armed robbery). Have we declined as a civilization in this country that we not only can't prevent the crime, but can't respond to it to catch the perps?

Just wonderin'

Bakerman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    Seemed OK when I did a 34 there

4. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Could be that the fuel island was robbed and putting up the BPG reduces their insurance premiums??

5. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Not a regular lane for me, but that Petro is probably the nicest I've been to. Never felt the slightest hint of danger there.

6. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I stayed there recently and the place seemed OK to me. In fact, I did a 34 plus there which is quite common for a Swift driver. Sometimes a get more than 1 34 plus restart per week.

7. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    I've stayed at all the truckstops on that 40/85 corridor in NC, and all of them feel very safe.

8. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Security glass protects their MONEY, not their employees... And there ain't nothing wrong with Bordentown!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Pharroh336

Pharroh336 Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Those pickup trucks and/or jeeps with yellow light bars are hired security by Walmart. Several stores are utilizing these services now. Main reason behind it is to enforce overnight truck and rv parking. Walmart has had a lot of issues with truck drivers leaving trash, piss bottles, and tearing up landscaping. Basically what these folks will do is if they see you come in and park, they approach you and tell you that there is no overnight parking. They will also tell you that parking is limited to 30 minutes. They let their own trucks park there but that's about it.

10. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    I stop there quite a bit. Never had a problem there at any hour. One of my go tos.

11. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

That petro is ok.....So is the TA at the 138 or the Wilco....I think the 150...
    Try not to be paranoid man,,,,

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  12. orangepicker

orangepicker Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2011
    florida
    T/A Tuscaloosa has bulletproof glass also

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.