Pre Pass

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by TROOPER to TRUCKER, Aug 23, 2015.

1. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah I know thought I saw a post where they were coming that's what I was referring to

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    My opinion is PrePass is a joke,. I get pulled into a scale but trucks with PrePass go by with lights out, mudflaps missing, bad tires, etc.

4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Assuming your carrier has a decent score, it is probably your location. GA rarely bypasses and NC uses NCpass (but sends the prepass red light signal)

Your carrier can log into prepass and see why you were red lighted:

Screenshot_2015-08-24-20-49-59-1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    tucker Thanks this.
  5. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    I have pre pass and get the green 99% of the time. It saves me a lot of time. I love it.

tucker Thanks this.
  6. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
  7. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Arizona is screwed up. I came into there on I 40 from CA, and I got a green light on prepass but the electronic sign said "truck must enter weigh station". Handed the dot cop at the window, was told to park it and bring my papers in, and another officer told me i was clear to go. I asked why the difference between the prepass and the signs, and was told the signs don't work with prepass, so just follow the prepass. They were cool about it, though. Obviously that state doesn't want to spend the money fixing there system, last time I came east bound into there on I 10 the lane signal lights were all broken off the poles, the place looked like it should've been abandoned.

8. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    I think some are confused how prepass works. All it does is I.D. the company involved. It doesnt tell anything about your load, weight, nothing. The better the safety rating the more likely to get a green.

Weigh in motion and the new signs dont have anything to do with prepass. Thats just an aid for the scalemasters. If a truck, even a prepass truck, hits a weight selected by the scalemaster it will trigger the "Truck Must Enter". I think the states using it decided its more productive to deal with heavy trucks than weighing empties.

Leaves more time for the scalemasters to play on their smartphone... ie: NEW MEXICO PORT OF ENTRY ON MONDAYS! make me walk in with all paperwork just to ask who I drive to and tell me I can go without looking up.

9. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Some states do use prepass with weigh in motion. Utah will pull you in if you are over 33,900 on your tandems -- when you look up the event on prepass it'll say "tandem weight"

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Should be a sign like most states have saying to "obey in cab transponder" or something to that effect.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    The Scalemaster sets the overhead scanner to detect your device and it relays to the computer who you are and your company info. He can change the tolerance level for safety ratings/compliance to whatever he deems necessary, whether it's 80%..90%..etc.

You're correct about GA. They generally run almost everyone over the bypass
    lane at the very least.

I run NC to the PacNW , down to Calif, back thru TX and return to NC and for the most part only get the red light in Idaho , Oregon, and Washington state. That's only bc I'm an easy coast truck 2500-2800 miles from home and they wanna look at me to see if I'm "wild eyed".

Once I hit CA going south on the 5... it's usually green to the house... til GA near the SC line on 85.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.