Reefer freight?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Swampfox, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Just purchase my new utility trailer with a TK unit. I'm looking to get some advice as to what companies to work for the best paying mileage? I also have a new truck so I can travel to Ca, looking for produce companies prefebly but don't really care. As long as I'm making money. I have my on authority so I would be working under my permits.

Please any suggestions are welcome.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    It might depend on where you live and where you want to run, etc.

Monie Thanks this.
  4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Deal direct with a broker,

no need to mess with a trucking company.

Monie Thanks this.
  5. muchostrange

muchostrange Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Believe it or not I have been getting best rates with CH Robinson.

nonsense007 and producelove85 Thank this.
  6. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Well this is a good question. You have options aplenty in where you can lease onto, or use a brokerage company. The downfall to many brokerage companies is they are a 60-120 day pay rate. Unless you hook up with one that pays after every load delivered. They are few and far between. As for hauling produce and since you have your own authority, truck, and trailer. You can use load boards to find your own produce loads . Again you could run into a payment issue, unless you have a bank account set up for a direct deposit after delivering load. Research into brokerage companies that will do a direct deposit or money wire transfer to your account. California is the main area for produce loads. I worked for John Christner pulling reefer, and i ran loads to CA , picking up produce loads outbound towards the East Coast. Running boxed beef out of the Midwestern states to West, and East Coast also. Many times the produce will go to a D.C, usually Wal-Mart

producelove85 Thanks this.
  7. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    ^^ that's just crazy why would a person with their own truck and trailer and authority lease onto a mega bottom feeder company.

producelove85 Thanks this.
  8. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    Sounds like Swampfox had a rich uncle who died and he thought buying a new truck and trailer would be the best way to learn about reefer freight. I'm sure he could wait 30 days for broker checks.

producelove85 and EZ Money Thank this.
  9. D&L

D&L Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2016
    That's for sure!

10. Jayshawn89

Jayshawn89 Light Load Member

Oct 12, 2009
    texas
    There are brokers out there that pay well before 30 days without a fee. As long as you spend a little bit of time looking to find who those brokers are it will not be an issue. Few pay in 7 days or less without a fee but must will pay 14-21 days without a fee. It is OK to get paid with a fee until you get a little bit of cash flow going. After that I would not recommend it.
    LTL reefer is doing awesome at the moment. So Try H&M Bay or Al-Amin Brothers or D&G and Budreck to start. After that look at cold storage facilities most if not all have their own brokerages. Last but not least there are several chicken plants that you can earn your way into running direct for, in the southeast.

Laredo has a lot of produce and there are always meat loads just about everywhere going down Laredo.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.