Reefer Unit Broken Panels

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Wenonah Paddler, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Wenonah Paddler

Wenonah Paddler Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Hey im just curious how often the outside panels on the thermo king or carrier reefer units break. What causes them to break and where do you get them fixed? any place cheaper than going through the dealer?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I expect you'll have to maybe strip them off a totaled trailer that has the same unit or go to the dealer.

Sometimes they don't latch good and get blown open and pinched in between the cab and trailer or just breaks the hinges leaving it dangling, or somebody jumps the pin over the 5th wheel and the back of the truck hits the front of the reefer.

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    They sell new panels, don't know how expensive, and tarp straps can help keep them closed when latches fail.

I have had to apply straps to more than 1, and older trailers tend to be more likely to latch poorly.

5. crappedouttrucker

crappedouttrucker Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2016
    I know how much they are. the lower unit door on the left is $473.00 that's the door only. the hardware is another $100 or so dollars. it's hard to get a used replacement if your a few truck operation. and they are nearly as much. they are quite proud of those doors.

maximo111 Thanks this.
  6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    One of ours got a new right side panel, and it is black, primed for painting. Doors, unless they are badly broken with large gaps, are dealt with by any means to keep them shut.

Usually tarps straps diagonally across both doors.

7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Lately I've seen many reefers half melted from trucks doing dpf burnoffs .. We have 4 or 5 in our fleet that way right now but it's a outside carrier doing it but can't figure out who .. Most owner ops here have side stacks or weed burners and the rest were measured to try to find out who is doing it as it's typically a grand or more in damage

Wenonah Paddler Thanks this.
  8. Saturday

Saturday Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I've seen those melted refeers before too. I watched a flat top with his pipe pointed backwards cook one in a TA before. Flats pulling refeers are becoming more common than they used to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.