Refrigerated or Flatbed?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Mrgreen09, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Mrgreen09

Mrgreen09 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Irvine,Ky
    So I have looked in to coming back to prime. I was on the refrigerated side in the early 2000's so I know how it can run. But I have have been thinking of going to the flatbed side of prime and wanted to hear from some of the guy's and girls that are in flatbed. What is the pay like? How much do you have to trap and so on?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. csw1818

csw1818 Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    Your gonna tarp alot. Can't help with pay I started when freight was bad and it's just now starting to pick back up. Why prime if I may ask?

4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Flatbed. Good reason to exercise.

5. csw1818

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    You'll definitely get it here we tarp more often then not, and we have a 3 piece tarp system on large loads. Have to use two lumber and a steel tarp turned side ways. But we haul a little of everything, equipment, coil (big and small), insulation, lumber, cat parts, slinky coils etc. So you'll definitely get experience on load securment.

Mrgreen09 Thanks this.
  6. Mrgreen09

Mrgreen09 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Irvine,Ky
    Well I have to go back and get my cdl and prime has the better pay. Prime was good to me when I was there before so why not go back.

7. csw1818

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    I was just curious but I definitely like it here. Flatbed it's like a completely different company. Dispatcher knows me by name. Reefer your lucky if your dispatcher remembered what you just sent him 5 minutes ago. But beware flatbed frieght is awful during the winter. But we run like crazy in the summer/spring

n3ss Thanks this.
  8. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    I was flatbed in 2014, started out at 40CPM coming through Prime's training program. I enjoyed it. Pretty sure my fleet manager/dispatcher knew who I was. He was a cool guy, felt bad giving him my 2 weeks notice at the same time he was trying to pitch leasing to me. Would happily work for him again though.

Lots of physical work, many times there aren't many options for loads, IE you take the load given to you or you sit. I'm not ashamed to admit that i tried to get out of picking up a load or two. One was up US-40 in CO; I took the long but less scary way up but before I found that route I tried to see if there was another load available in the area.

The absolute worst thing they'll ask you to do on flatbed is haul PVC out of Cedar City into SoCal or out of Muncy to anywhere. You might also get a load of PVC out of the Charlotte, NC area into the NY/Long island area. Hauling for charlotte pipe sucks in general.

9. csw1818

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    I actually don't mind Charlotte pipe. I honestly can't say of any loads I really just absolutely hated some are annoying to secure but I think that's what I love about flatbed the change of saying to myself "how the **** am I gonna secure this without it falling off my trailer and killing me and a family of 4"....now tarping isn't bad but I can't never get a pretty tarp job from start to finish it.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I'd say tarping depends on your FM. I went from 20% tarp and long runs to 80% tarp and short runs when my FM changed...

11. csw1818

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    I don't think it has anything to do with fm just with where you run. With that being said on the trips I came off home time April 6th went from Charlotte NC to Minneapolis about 1200 Miles. Minneapolis to ostego (4 stops 1200 miles) to Hatboro pa, Hatboro pa to Muncy pa, Muncy to westbury NY (220 miles or so) went to petro in Bordentown picked up in Pennsauken nj to slc (2300 Miles reset in at pittston) slc to Cedar city utah. Cedar city utah to elk grove ca (635 miles not including deadhead) then elk grove to quincy, Quincy to luck wi (trip I'm on now) so there are definitely miles here... if your going company

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.