Regen Question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Vilhiem, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Recently I just got a newer truck with Schneider, my old one didn't have DEF, Regens or DPF's to worry over.

No biggie, I learned that pretty quick. It isn't hard anyways. Just gotta remember that the DEF goes into the Diesel tank. Right? :angel12: (DON'T DO THAT! I WAS KIDDING...do not ever add DEF to any other tank in your truck that isn't labeled for DEF. ...especially not tanks labeled for fuel!)

Anyways. Recently had to do a regen on my truck and I've seen another thread talking about how often you have to run a regen on whatever truck you drive.

So, here's my questions.

- Would running a regen before the DPF filter says it's needed harm anything mechanical or cause damage?
    - Would it have any benefits to run prior to the sensor saying it's needed?
    - Has anyone tried to do this before and noticed anything?

My thoughts are this... I'm parked at the facility where I pick up my loads at the end of the week. Meaning I wouldn't be disturbing anyone (or at least minimizing) by running one every other week regardless of if it was needed or not. I see lots of you complain about trucks running a forced regen at night; and after running my first regen in that truck I actually understand your complaints on the noise level. Thinking of minimizing the noise I make (I already have to idle at night...it's too #### hot without some method to cool off) and preventing having any forced down time or engine derates.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    the computer wont regen if its not needed. when the DPF is full it will regen by itself(passive at 60+MPH) if it neeeds an active regen(you start it) it will le you know

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  4. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    ...eh, well if that's true... Guess we can't have proactive drivers. :p

I'm also assuming you mean greater than or equal to 60mph. If not, then sni has shot themselves in the foot. ...should be fun to watch.

But the active regen is what I was referring to. Some trucks seem to do it automatically and won't let you move without finishing the regen, but mine has to be triggered by holding the button for 10 seconds. Wasn't sure if it could be triggered without needing a regen, but when I get back to my truck later on I think I'll test that?

Assumed it could be triggered at random since the driver has to start it anyways.

5. EndHatred

EndHatred Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Regens are activated if you stay over 45mph for at least 30. minutes. don't worry about performing a manual unless the yellow or red lights come on. (Is that listed on your visor?) doesn't always need a clean out cuz it depends optically on how much stop & go you are doing in a given week. More stop & go the more it will automatically start.. If you see the yellow lights come on get your speed up for 30min. sometime hard to do if you're in traffic. If your red light comes on stop! call for help! you can first. try it manually.. While driving, If you are loosing power/ derated/slowed down look for white smoke out of your stack then shut down asap.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Active regens require input from an operator (by that I mean the driver or a mechanic). The only ones that start by themselves are the passive (or rolling] regens. If they could do it by themselves, it would be dangerous because when you do one, you need to be in a safe place away from anything flammable...including what is under your truck. damutt was right on damoolah...you can push the button until your finger falls off...if the sensors in the DPF are telling the computer everything is normal, then a parked (active)regen won't initiate.

Besides...why would you want to do one anyway. All a regen is in reality is the computer injecting minute amounts of diesel into the exhaust at a high rpm (for exhaust temp) to burn away accumulated soot on the DPF membrane. If the computer isn't telling you that you need to do one, that means there isn't enough soot to worry about. Besides, it turns the soot to ash, and the ash stays in the DPF until it gets full and then they have to service the (expensive) DPF by removing it and force clean it at a shop and then 'bake' it at an extremely high temp to ensure that all the soot is gone.

If you have time, search youtube for 'servicing a DPF'...you'll see how involved it is to work on one.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  7. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    I know the tidbits of dpf and the like, just didn't know if it was a good idea to try and initiate one before it was needed.

Thanks you all!

8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    If other readers are driving Internationals, normally, you only know if it's doing a passive regen if you stop (exhaust temp light) or if your DPF is getting close to needing a service (light smoke puffing out the stack) if the passive regen doesn't have time to complete and it still needs one done, sometimes you get a DPF light (yellow), if it doesn't start a regen by itself, then after a short period, the DPF light will start blinking and a warning buzzer goes off...if you don't stop and regen then, it will eventually derate and the little upside down triangle will come on...if you keep going then...it will eventually turn on the red engine and/or the red stop sign then shut down. I am not sure what the Paccar system does...never drove one of those.

EndHatred Thanks this.
  9. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    By the way, my "stack" comes out below the cab and is blown toward the ground.

How do you see if it's white? Or is it just one of those, "you'll know" moments?

10. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    depending on milage of the truck, you will be able to smell it it, has a very unique smell too it

11. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    5563 miles...

She's a baby. I've a long way to be concerned about the filter going bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.