Shelton Trucking Service - Altha, Fla.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by trucker_man, Nov 16, 2005.

1. trucker_man

trucker_man Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2005
    OK I went to work for shelton . on the phone they told me one thing but when i got down thier is was differnt ... one thing the orientation
    we only watched 3 films the other times we rode around for 2 days . plus on the phone they say $300 for orientation i never seen a dime of that money ... you pay for going to the doctor office.. they start you off 30 mile loaded 20 cent emty ha ha ha ... ok now its all up to you to pay for all phone calls to shippers and recivers to get directions
    to the places and they will not pay you back .. no payment for layover downtime. or anything. they will not pay tarp pay loading or unloading you help.. thats alot of work on a flatbed . they paid for motel but they say they pay for breakfest lunch and dinner i seen on the first day but the others days nothing man am glad the old lady gave me a few extra $$$ to eat on ...

all and on . you are aa sucker you go to work for

shelton trucking in altha fl..

thank you for yall's time ~!

p.s i stayed out for 10 days made 450$ most of it was 20C a mile running emty ~!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    Shelton Trucking was a carrier that hauled out of a customer location that I served for several years, and over those years, I struck up many a conversation with their drivers, a few I came to know very well.

It never ceased to amaze me how this company thrives, but that they do.

They run age old trucks (five to eight years old) with sleepers that a kid would have trouble being comfortable in, albeit that they appeared to be fairly well maintained. They purchase wrecks and rebuild them as a mainstaple for their fleet. They do purchase about a fourth of their trucks new for those that worked on a national level.

The last I heard, they were paying 30 cpm for all miles, but have since reduced this for empty miles to 20 cpm? Ridiculous. Those guys ran practically more miles empty than they did loaded.

Most of the guys were leasing trucks from the company, and the program was crap, and with very few exception, they somehow wound up not making it to the day the title was supposed to be turned over to the driver.

One guy had a fifth wheel problem, and before he knew it, the bill from the Mack dealer came to over $3200, with additional work ordered by the company without approval from the driver, which by the way, was in violation of the lease agreement as written. Shelton made all repairs the drivers responsibility, and the lease contract did not specify that the carrier had a right to authorize repairs without consent, but that didn't seem to stop them.

They were ripping the lessors off for legitimate fuel surcharges, because I knew what the shipper paid by contract.

The funny thing was, these guys were practically coming to blows at times, to haul loads, continously trying to outdo each other, and the company would not lift a finger to intervene to keep things fair. Yet some of these guys stayed with them for longer than I would have ever considered, under the circumstances.

I was not impressed with the way they treated their drivers. I also saw a great deal of new faces all the time.

.30 loaded and .20 empty? Not in MY lifetime.

4. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    This would not bother me too much as long as the loads were basicaly day trips with sometimes a load over overnight. But to run for OTR in a coffin sleeper? Forget it. As far as the older trucks go that is not an issue as long as the repairs are kept up.

This is out of the question for myself, I can talk with most any company out there and be offered better money then this. As far as the lower rate for the empty miles, as long as I am driving a company truck, would be out of the question. I have seen lease agreements fo O/O that had a diferent a lower rate for empty miles and worked for a guy that had his trucks leased on to Werner, at that time Werner was paying a lower milage rate then the loaded miles BUT I kept an eye on it and managed to keep the deadheaded miles well below 20%. The last part was through keeping a good relationship with my dispacher.

5. bobbyw

bobbyw Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Orlando Florida
    no way in H town would I even consider these creeps ,I do things outside of trucking to supplement my income and I am not going to tolerate kniving thieving and straight up inhumane treatment by any of these companies,but people sometimes get between a rock and a hard place and have to work for these companies but thank its not today

6. oldben30

oldben30 Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Shelton Trucking

I just want to tell people about my experience with Shelton Trucking
    This Company is based in Altha Fl. And they have Dispatch offices Based around the states. I saw an add in the paper for the option to lease purchase a truck from Shelton.
    So I called to ask questions about the whole deal. First of all I told them I needed to work locally and asked if that was even an option. He told me absolutely and that they do not force dispatch. I explained that I had a good job making about 1200 a week before taxes but that I was out of town 4 nights a week and that’s why I was looking for something local. So I asked about money and he asked how much I need to make I told him about 1200.00 a week after expenses, He said not a problem and then he started to pull up
    Peoples paychecks and tell me what they were making and he read off numbers like 2300 3200 and so on. I asked if that was after expenses he said yes. I took about two months to decide to come to work for this company, asked lots of questions all of witch they answered in my favor, I guess that should have told me something. I also went online to see if I could find someone who put a note or something on a forum to warn people of Shelton Trucking But there was nothing. And that’s why im putting this out there now.
    To make a very long story short, im going to make a list of things they told me followed by what really happened.

Statement: Driving locally only in Houston and home every night they said I could make at least 1200 a week no problem.

Reality: As soon as I Started the whole thing changed everyone told me I don’t why you thought that and they said you have to leave the state if you want to make it here (which I did). I worked there for several weeks most of which I did not even get a check. Yeah they will give you an advance but they make it hard and ask you why as if it’s their business. But then you’re in an even deeper hole.

Realty: every check I did get from them was either half of what it was supposed to be or at least 200 less and no one could tell me why and they were so hostile all the while you’re on the phone with them and I know why because it discourages drivers to question their check.

Reality: They don’t have Forced dispatches as in you wont loose your job for not taking a load but they will tell you its all they have and if you still say no they will tell you for the next week they are just slow and they don’t have any loads all the while your watching others pulling loads and doing work.

Reality: Basically what Shelton does is get drivers to come in and work for free by telling them their buying a truck and after a good 3 or four years they will own it and they can go wherever they want. Even though in reality the first 3.5 years in the contract you’re only renting the truck and the last year is when you start buying it. So all the while Shelton can say that it’s their truck, even though you have to pay for fuel and any repairs, and you’re not allowed to use the truck for any other work or personal use say if you need to move so grass for your own house. So what they really do is get drivers to come to work and tell them it takes about a month to really start making money spread out the work so all the drivers make enough to cover there expenses and then say they don’t have any loads because come on if they can keep you like that they get all the money even if you quit and they have to put another driver in the seat of that truck that’s been paid off for years.

Reality: They will send you somewhere like Tampa Fl From Houston TX and say they have something waiting to come back but when you get there they say they don’t have anything and you have to wait and if you confront them with what they told you they will deny it and then your almost certain to deadhead back. They will also give you a permit load and say the permits are ready and they will keep telling you that till your loaded then its to late you cant turn it down but guess what all of the sudden the permits are not there and no one ever said they where, that has been the way of every permit load.

Reality: You will get so many people get on there cb and tell you how crappy Shelton is
    But you try to tune them out because they didn’t make it because they didn’t work hard at least what Shelton said. But when you work several weeks and every week you work 60 to70 hours and you either don’t get a check or you get a check for 200 – 300 dollars you quickly realize you may have made a big mistake.

Well that’s just a few of the ways Shelton Trucking Service Works, if you don’t believe me just keep your eyes out for a Shelton truck and ask them.

7. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

In their beginning, they bought out a company in my home town. They were not liked then nor now by those who lost their jobs cause of them.

8. 7-20-16

7-20-16 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2016
    They tell u there trucks have 30, 150, 300, miles on them lol. Million plus miles on all trucks. They put u in one look for bed bugs,roaches they give u 30 day warranty & will make sure u can't get back in those 1st 30 days to fix anything until after the 30 day then u get a 2000. To 4000. Bill & they will take 300. Plus a week for months out of your check. they buy the trucks for 10, lease to u for 30, plus & the dead head miles all the time everywhere. 4.2 mpg. U work the numbers r even go & work for them u see u made a mistake.i have never said anything bad about any company but they make a ton of money off the drivers. Trucks r in bad shape & they have there own garages 10 bays plus all full all the time. They say u can make 1500 to 2000 a week lol. 216. /0 / 707. /912./ 0/ 238./ Pay checks. All u heard for all the drivers no money,truck broke down, shop bill, dead head miles, the largest turn over in drivers I ever seen. Good Luck this company will put u in the hold.

9. Truckers_wife74

Truckers_wife74 Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2017
    As the wife of someone who now dont work for them ya ive lost count how many times my husband had no check or a couple hundred the one time he should have had a good one oh they decided with no warning to take more for the shop bill had it not been for my having a good job we would have gone under also they have a nasty habit of oh all loads for payday have to be in by noon fridays if it isnt or your in the middle it will be next check yet the loads never show on the check ever they pretend to care when you turn in 2 weeks notice but this company does not care as the wife ya if my husband is gone all week and gets no check he may as well be home and get no check atleast then i and our little could see him just a wifes thoughts on this company

10. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    .30 loaded.and .20 empty is a GREAT rate for company drivers...If this was 1977.

11. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Well @loose_leafs that first post was from 2005. It might be a little higher now.....:biggrin_2559:

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.