Should I go to another company or Landstar?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OOwannaBE, Feb 12, 2016.

1. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I echo everybody else, this ain't the time to buy a truck. I'm currently a BCO for Landstar and I'm fighting for everything compared to two years ago. Company isn't bad but freight sucks and agents are using outside carriers more and more sadly.

Pharroh336 and rachi Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks I will wait on buying a truck. I am wondering if I should change companies in the meantime.

4. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    When comrade Sanders takes over the economy will be very well regulated and we will have full employment.

5. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    This will be one of my best years as an O/O, no matter the president!!!!!

SoDel and CoP473 Thank this.
  6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I am going to go against the tide here. You are debt free with no family commitments, it sounds like you have the cash for a signicant down payment, so truck payments, your only real bill will be manageable. You have enough experience in the driving part.
    If Landstar is your choice, go for it. Surely you can run enough miles to make the payment, as you learn the biz. If you sit more often than you would with a better economy so what. If you want to maintain your present take home pay, stay put, don't make any changes
    There is a cost for being independent, there always will be. Some folks, like me wouldn't have it any other way.

Grijon, alien4fish, SoDel and 7 others Thank this.
  7. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Pretty much anywhere you go youll get 1 day for a week time off. Companies dont care about your social life, its all about money to them.

OOwannaBE and 77fib77 Thank this.
  8. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    You must live in Florida or some horrible freight place.. I know plenty of jobs where you can clear 60K and have weekends home

9. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    If you have your heart set on being an o/o I would go work for somebody that pays percentage. It'll help you see how to make money imo. Plus look around at what kind of work runs where you wan't to go. It may or may not be reefer. It wouldn't hurt to work for someone where you learn something about the mechanics of the truck too. You don't have to be able to fix everything on your truck as an o/o but it sure helps to know how it works and be able to fix small things and patch it up to get off the side of the road at least. BTW 3 days off a months running otr is b.s. I have zero sympathy for these companies whining about driver retention when they operate like that.

alien4fish Thanks this.
  10. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    From what I can tell from your post, you have enough experience and fiscal responsibility to make it as an owner operator with Landstar. Plus, it says you live in Tennessee, and that's a pretty good area for decent paying freight throughout the year, although there are slow times, of course.
    I try to stay between North Georgia to eastern Ohio to Illinois to Kansas City to Little rock and down through northern Alabama. It's inside this circle where the rates are generally better and more consistent than other areas. I prefer to run between Florida and Arizona, but sadly, the money just isn't there, so I don't do it.
    Another thing to consider with Landstar is that you choose your loads and you decide where the truck is going and when. If you want to go home, go home. Remember though that you really are in control of your business here at Landstar. They have discounts that are pretty amazing on fuel and tires, parts, etc., but you run your business.
    I would suggest if you are going to come here, don't go and make yourself truck poor right from the start. There is a learning curve here, and it will take some time to figure things out. Landstar will accept any year truck so long as it passes a DOT inspection. There are lots of really good used trucks at great prices right now. If you're not interested in going to California, then consider buying a good, older truck for cash.
    In any event, you can make it here at Landstar, and if you're like me, once you get used to the freedom of choice here, you won't ever go back to being a company driver again. But don't expect everything to be perfect here. There are things I don't like about how we get our freight, and with my own authority I could get some of the loads at a better rate, but the discounts make the shortfalls easier to take. For example, at the T/A in Baldwin, Fl today the pump price is for diesel $2.119, and our price is $1.803, a savings of 31.6 cents per gallon. Savings like that really add up.
    So, if you believe you have the experience and financial ability to make it work, go for it. You'll be glad you did.

Gottfried, Grijon, alien4fish and 4 others Thank this.
  11. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Good luck with getting on with landstar...the people doing the recruitment are idiots and it's taken them 2 and a half months to tell me they need more paperwork signed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.