Skip a Coop if Off-Duty Driving?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Criminey Jade, Jul 21, 2015.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    The reality of the job is unfortunately quite at odds with your opinion, though you're completely correct.

truckon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    How is it people are driving state to state on PC time? Aren't you limited to your 14 hour bracket? The way our boxes are programmed, if you've run out your 14, you don't get to use Line 5.

4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    It is a trucker myth that a drIver must have hours available on their 14 or 70 in order to use PC. There is nothing in the regulations stating that. In fact, the driver can be completely out of hours and still use PC. The only time PC is unavailable according to the regulations is if the driver is OOS. Your situation is based on company policy.

Likewise, there is nothing preventing a driver from crossing state lines on PC. For example, the driver's "enroute lodgings" could be in one state and the restaurant they go to could be some miles away in another state.

Raiderfanatic and Criminey Jade Thank this.
  5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Keep in mind that PC is not in the regulations, nor is it a rule. FMCSA has only entered an "explanation" as to it's use and need. FMCSA has left the carriers in charge of whatever "policies" the carrier wishes to enforce given "general yet nonspecific" guidelines to follow.

truckon and Criminey Jade Thank this.
  6. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    PC is not limited to Intra-State movement or to the 14 hour window.

However, if the operation is not commuting back and forth to the "normal work reporting location" or to "restaurants in the vicinity of enroute lodgings" it does not fall within the limits of PC.

Criminey Jade Thanks this.
  7. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    This is a prime example of the problems to drivers/carriers PC has. Each State or jurisdiction, also different LEO agencies all have different parameters and definitions. CA and OR follow the "unladen" rule, where WA considers the trailer as "part of the load", i.e. to use PC in WA you must be bobtail, but in CA and OR you can be with trailer empty.

Normally, the term "normal work reporting location" is used and accepted for the 100 mile radius "local" crews and especially for drivers not requiring a logbook. Here Scalemaster uses the term for PC, also he leaves out the actual verbiage of "short distance" that is present in the Federal Guidelines. His use of "restaurants in the vicinity of enroute lodgings" is used as an example within the guidelines, but not as an absolute advisory.

IF a driver intends on using PC, that driver should really be on top of the definition used in any area he/she will be traversing.

truckon and Criminey Jade Thank this.
  8. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    You are in a Commercial Status, until the time that you begin promoting the awareness your Not-For-Hire....pretty sure.

9. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Has anyone heard of a driver chased for passing by a scale bobtail? Just curious if they bother.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  10. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    My GUESS is that the authorities might chase you down to check for HOS, along with making sure that there are no discrepancies or malfunctions on your vehicle. It still is a CMV.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

11. SISYPHUS

SISYPHUS Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2015
    HADES
    I like to work less than 12 and it suits me well. My theory is 12 on 12 off. I still manage to run 3k a week and have some ME time. You guys running "balls to the wall" need to get a life...

12 ga Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.