Sleep & why 14 hr.log doesn't work for all drivers.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Chinatown, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This must be why I was suited for long haul coast-to-coast tucking. All my life I've only been able to sleep 5-6 hours a day.

Some of the most productive people in history have been so-called “short sleepers”. Here’s how they operate. (Illustration: Eugenia Loli)
    While most people don’t function well after an extended stretch of four or fewer hours of sleep a night, there may be a very small percentage who can thrive under these circumstances.
    In a landmark 2009 study, researchers discovered a genetic mutation in a mother and daughter who seemed to need much less sleep than the average person — the first time any mutation relating to sleep duration had been found (while the sample size wasn’t huge, the effect was replicated in mouse and fruit fly studies). A more recent study, by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, revealed a variation in that gene, and other researchers are currently observing the sleep patterns of research participants who claim to function on very little sleep.
    Nobody knows exactly how many true “short sleepers” exist, but estimates put it at one percent of the population. They wake refreshed and energized after just a few hours of sleep, and those who have been studied tend to pack their lives with tasks that they perform well unaided by stimulants or other crutches. For instance, the very productive Thomas Edison may have been a short sleeper. “Cells don’t sleep,” he said in his most quoted anti-sleep rant. “Fish swim in the water all night. Even a horse doesn’t sleep. A man doesn’t need any sleep.”

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    FMCSA officials don't care about that..

4. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    Power naps!

C & C Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I know that; they rule and make decisions based on political pressure, not reality.

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I think it was Napoleon who discovered the benefits of micro sleep.

I'm the same way-- sleep just a few hours then wide awake waiting for that 10 hour clock to expire. 5 or 6 hours into my day, been awake for almost 12 hours already and ready for another nap. Qualcomm chirping 'why are you in the sleeper?'

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I too have a hard time sleeping for long periods of time (which is why I'm up at this hour) I think Edison was a short sleeper too (which is where the similarity between me and Edison ends) I could never adjust to the new rules of trucking, and would have so many violations in a month, they'd boot me out.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    all men are created equal, we all need 9.5 hours of sleep (30 minutes to wake up and go to the bathroom) and off we are, to drive 11 hours (take another 30min break no more than 8hrs in) and drive another three hours, and we must need another 10 hours

thats the rule for all of us, or else you are an outlaw and need to find another industry besides trucking

maybe a brain surgeon, who has no limits of how tired he can be to work on your brain

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

^Not sure if sarcasm or not^

I don't need much sleep, which is good, because I have a preschooler at home.

Every few weeks I get tired though, I tell my dispatcher, "send me OTR for a few days! I need some sleep!"

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. aduiepyle

aduiepyle Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2014
    So you teaching a 35 years old veteran of trucking nd retired smh, just saying though.

11. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i am not teaching anyone anything

personally, i think the HOS are full of nonsense

but i am only regurgitating what i hear other drivers say who are always condemning other drivers for getting the job done, or using paper logs

i can understand DOT enforcing these stupid rules
    i do not understand drivers condemning other drivers for not adhering to these stupid rules

as a grown man, i think i know best when i am tired, and i know best when i am rested, 10hrs of sitting still will make me want to take a nap two hours after driving

Chinatown and C & C Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.