Slide your tandems to the rear...

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by Jacoooooooo, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    So... It happende to me for the second time this week. I've been asked to slide the tandems to the rear, and than I figure out that they were loading light stuff (9k pounds total at first fime, 23k at the other time. Both times without a forklift.. First the they had a hand truck, the other shipper all by hand. There were no dock leveling issues either. My question is: Do these people have any idea what they are asking for, and what is the reason for it? SMH. Tandem sliders are made to make proper weight distribution easier and in some cases help with heavy loads/forklifts, but they often ask for it for no reason. It only takes a while to slide them, I know, but I would be pissed off if I had an old trailer with pull-handle slider and spent an hour trying to slide for morons who ask for it just per se.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    An hour? How slow you moving? That's probably 57.5 more minutes than is necessary...
    But I understand the silliness of sliding for hand / dolly loading.

4. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    if u have a trailer thats a pain to slide i say just back it into the dock and see if they notice. most of the time they dont. unless its a safety or dock leveling issue just ignore them

LoneCowboy, Rocks, Mtn Gal and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I move pretty quick, but I think you know that I meant the situation when the #### pins won't retract.

RedRover, Mtn Gal and Dominick253 Thank this.
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    You have never dealt with an older trailer thats a pain in the ### i suppose. I myself have spent at least 30 minutes trying to slide rusty old tandem pins even after spraying them with wd-40.

Big_D409, Mtn Gal, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  7. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Gotchya. Def more of an issue when they want to have you slide to unload you tho, and the weight keeps them pegged. Then you've got to rock it hard, and deep. Haha.
    Giggidy!

8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    IMO, wd 40 is waste, the power is there to move it, springs break, metal bends and things fall apart on old trailers, I always move tandems to the rear, no need to ask.. doesn't matter

crb, driverdriver and Dominick253 Thank this.
  9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    It may be the fine people at their insurance company,

making the rules...........

10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    And if you're the person pulling the hand truck unloading the trailer, that one inch the trailer raises when you slide the tandems Just might make a big difference.
    Buy a StaRat to help with pulling the handle out.
    I usually slide them back without being asked on live loads and unloads, or if I drop a heavy trailer.

LindaPV and HalpinUout Thank this.
  11. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    30 or 60 minutes to get pins loose? Haven't we heard of this new invention called a sledge hammer? You would be surprised how easy they move with a 4 lb sledge persuading them. It they still don't move after the 3rd jiggle with the truck, open side box and take aim. (It also helps relieve stress as well)

BigPerm, ncmickey, flood and 10 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.