Spoke with rep at JJ Keller about E-Logs

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Oct 20, 2016.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    It's as easy as any app is to navigate windows. On the main screen you have 4 big buttons and a small menu button. Most things are done with the 4 large icons. Vehicle inspection, the log itself, vehicle connection, and log off icon. The menu button opens up another set, that you may need to access but i rarely do (to view prior days, edit a vehicle inspection, view reports, email copies to print, etc etc) Just a simple button push. At the very top is the time, current duty status and location of last duty change. Clicking the main log icon beings up 3 clocks 8 hour, 14 hour, and 70 hour, and is the only thing you can access with the vehicle in motion.

As for support, i've only had to call them twice, once i was on hold for twenty minutes waiting my turn in line. Another time they answered within maybe two minutes. Both times the issue was resolved by the original person answering the phone, no transfers necessary.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Thanks I am glad to hear their support staff do a decent job. The sales rep told me it's american based so I wont be speaking with some guy in India reading off a cue card. I have been with JJ Keller and ordering stuff from them for a while. Seem to be one of the better reputable companies out there

4. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Oh will you looky here... Someone had what I warned about happen to them today...
    Ended up OOS for 10 hours.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-manual-signatures.255900/page-2#post-5534984

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Where in the regs does it say the opportunity to "print out" copies of your electronically stored logs means it has to be printed on a printer as in an HP PRINTER or such? ;-)

Is a laser printer required over an inkjet printer? Or, is a ballpoint pen with black ink copied over by hand and manually dated and signed sufficient?

If it isn't, where does it say that is isn't? I read the driver's post you linked to. Sounds to me like he got into a pissing match with the inspector and the inspector decided to show him who's ball s were bigger.

I learned a long time ago to never get into a pissing match with a DOT inspector. You lose every time.

I would of said, "I'm sorry officer, I thought electronic logs with my electronic signature met the requirements. If you give me some time, I'll be more than happy to "print" out my last 7 days." Then I would of grabbed 7 blank paper logs of mine and started copying right in front of him.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    People confuse elogs with eobrs. An electronic log is any app or laptop program that you use for logging, but is not tied into the trucks ecm. Those you have to be able to print on the spot of requested. Am eobr such as jjkeller or Qualcomm is tied into the trucks ecm so you can't fudge them, at least not as far as driving is concerned. Don't need to print them, you can push 1 button and have them emailed to the officer who can then print if he so chooses.

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Electronic logging apps like BigRoad have the same feature. You can send the logs to the inspector in the same way and it is perfectly acceptable under the regulations. The question is, if the inspector insist on a "printed" copy of what is on the screen, do the regs demand the printed copies have to be printed on a physical printer?

I contend that any officer who demands printed copies of a driver's logs who is using an an approved app like BigRoad, is just being a prick.

8. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    You may be right, but they are out there, and so we have the choice of abiding by the letter of the rule, or risk running into one who enforces the letter of the rules.

I would say a $20 inverter and $40 printer stashed away under the bunk is cheap insurance so you can comply with the rule.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I have a factory installed inverter with a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, etc.

I don't need to lug along another device like a printer just "in case" some jerk of an inspector decides to be a jerk when 99.9% of the rest of the inspectors aren't jerks and understand the spirit of what is obviously a confusing regulation.

However, if you feel safer lugging along a printer, more power to you ;-)

stayinback Thanks this.
  10. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Well, when you get pulled in and they ask for a copy of your logs, make sure to tell us how it goes!

cnsper Thanks this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I have been pulled in more than once, inspected, asked for my logs already. I opened up my logs screen of my nice big 8" tablet, put it in inspection mode and showed it to the inspector. They loved it. Most hand it right back and say those "electronic" logging devices are sure nice :)

All of this will most likely be a moot point anyways in another year as the ELD mandate appears to be in place. Then we'll all have a chance to learn how to become ELD cheaters.

What troubles me most about all of this though is the ease by which a whole generation of truckers has so readily and without alarm accepted a government which can track your every movement. Our forefathers are turning over in their graves.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.