Stay at home dad, old CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Archaic, May 27, 2016.

1. Archaic

Archaic Bobtail Member

May 27, 2016
    About 3 years ago, I got my CDL. I had every intention of going out over the road. I had just completed the course, and was in talks with a company to start their training. Unfortunately life decided to throw me a curveball and I ended up becoming a stay at home dad. Without flooding the internet with life drama, my situation has improved and I am getting ready to move my children across the country. When I went to look into putting my CDL to use I found every company saying they hire 'recent graduates' and the few I called told me they only accept CDL graduates within the last several months (it ranged from 3 to 9 months). On top of all that I also have virtually no work record. At the advice of a friend, I'm asking here if anyone has any ideas that could help me out. My license is clean (nothing at all in the last 3 years) and still current (renewed my medical card last year).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    You may have to retake the course since you have no experience. There are trucking companies who will retrain you. If you post the location of where you are looking for a job @Chinatown will probably be by shortly and give you some companies to look at. Hes very knowlegeable about that.

Archaic Thanks this.
  4. Archaic

Archaic Bobtail Member

May 27, 2016
    Yeah I suppose it would be helpful to tell you where I'm going (I thought I put it in my first post but I guess I ONLY thought it) I will be living in central Wisconsin.

5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Roehl transport will be right in your neck of the woods, in marshfield, wi. They have a great training course there. Despite a few recent negative posts made on the forum, I still think they are a great company and would recommend them to anyone as a beginner company. Good luck!

rabbiporkchop and Archaic Thank this.
  6. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Have you looked at Prime?

Archaic Thanks this.
  7. MidWester

MidWester Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Check into Hotline Freight too, it's a smaller LTL company and they'll hire new drivers if they need help that bad.

Archaic Thanks this.
  8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
  9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Have you try calling schneider? They're rights next door

Archaic Thanks this.
  10. Redbeard93

Redbeard93 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Ruther glen va
    W.E.L is in Wisconsin i believe

Archaic Thanks this.
  11. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    You should not have much problem if you are willing to sign on with a mega and go through training again. You could go the mom and pop route and just try to drive with the training you have.

But since these trucks are the most powerful thing on the highway, and one mistake could kill you and those around you, you have to ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today? Well, do you punk?

Off subject but the actor who played the Punk in Dirty Harry was also in the third Dirty Harry movie.

Archaic Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.