Swift training in Fontana ?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by k1221n2, Mar 19, 2016.

1. k1221n2

k1221n2 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    I'm living in California now and was hoping to train in phoenix, I know my way around Phoenix and just want stay based out of phoenix, the recruiter sent me an email saying I'll have to go to the Fontana training center ? I want nothing to do with Fontana, does anyone know if there is anyway around this ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Call him and ask to transfer the training to Phoenix.

4. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    They probably do that so you can't quit and go home as easily.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How about Knight Transportation?
    "After qualifications are met, you will generally begin training within a week. Knight will not make you sign any contracts to begin our commercial driver’s license (CDL) program. You will begin CDL school at Knight’s Phoenix terminal. Students have to provide their own transportation and lodging during the 2-to-3 weeks of CDL training, but receive $400 of trainee salary each week for additional expenses."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. k1221n2

Apr 10, 2014
    Hello Chinatown do you work for Knight?

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, I don't work for Knight.

8. Knucklehead619

Knucklehead619 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Flyover Country
    Unless things have changed in a huge way since I left Swift a few years ago they're probably trying to train you in Fontana because (A) it's closer to home for you and (B) there's more room in the "class" in Fontana then in Phoenix where classes are almost always full. As far as basing in Phoenix they're unlikely to do that for the same reason: Mira Loma (or Jurupa Valley as I think they call it now) would be closer to home. My first 4 years with Swift were all based out of Fontana working for the same DM who I got along with great. Then some douche decided that anyone who lived south of Murrieta (I'm in San Diego) would be immediately transferred to the idiot DMs in Otay Mesa. I had avoided that terminal for a reason. I left Swift not too long after firing my 2nd Otay Mesa DM.

***EDIT*** I just realized you said you live "in California" but you were not specific where. All of the above is assuming you're in SoCal and closer to Jurupa Valley and Fontana than Phoenix.

9. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    I don't know why people have the impression that Swift makes you sign a contract that you have to work for them for a certain time frame. That is not the case. The only contact that you sign at a Swift school is repayment of any loan taken out to finance your schooling. If you decide to leave Swift the note is still owed and arrangements must be made to repay it since it is no longer a payroll deduction.

10. k1221n2

Apr 10, 2014
    I'm living in the San Fran Bay Area right now.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I know that and have told people that. Pretty good deal really if you can deal with the driver facing cameras and monitoring of voice and phone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.