Tango Transport bought out as 80 layoffs announced

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by JRH, Oct 3, 2015.

1. JRH

JRH Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2013
    From KLSA News Staff
    SHREVEPORT, LA -

Shreveport-based Tango Transport has confirmed the layoff of 80 workers began Wednesday, the same day the freight-hauling company was acquired by Celadon Group, a truckload carrier based in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Tango issued a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) of the layoffs via the Louisiana Workforce Commission late Friday afternoon.

On Wednesday, Celadon Group released a statement announcing that one of its wholly owned subsidiaries has purchased select assets of the truckload business.

Celadon Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Paul Will stated, "We are delighted with the Tango acquisition and expect it to fulfill one of our immediate goals of continuing to grow our business with our existing customer base by adding density in our primary traffic lanes and gaining experienced drivers."

According to the seller's un-audited financial statements, the Shreveport, La.-based company generated approximately $90 million in gross revenue in 2014.

The freight-hauling company also has operations in Sibley, La., as well as in West Memphis, Ark., and Madisonville, Ky.

According to Tango's WARN notice, the layoffs were to begin Sept. 30 and are expected to be completed by Oct. 14.
    It's unclear whether the layoffs at the Shreveport location constitute a complete shutdown of the facility, or whether Celadon plans to keep those operations running in some capacity.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. steven777

steven777 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2015
    I hate that but they probably knew it was coming.Good luck to all of them.No I don't drive for either company.

4. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    I'm guessing, but the Celadon may have to structure the drivers that way until they work thru their own hiring policies...ie, to make sure the drivers are qualified to drive under their own rules. Being a driver...in this market is a good thing...recently Celadon started a program with a min. pay per week $1000.00 regardless of miles driven.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I'll assume they're booting 80 office personnel, and then making them re-apply for their positions - giving them a chance to evaluate each employee one by one?

Or just cleaning house and eliminating duplicate positions.

Either way - that blows.

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Sorry, duplicate thoughts as you were posting. I'm a little slow tonight, good sign I should turn in for the night.

7. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Celadon is excited about "gaining experienced drivers" I wonder how many are even going to stick with them now?

8. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    A couple of years ago Tango was growing rapidly, hauling a lot of dedicated around Tx and LA. but was always looking for drivers....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.