The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Reman $250-290 for injector,$500ish for the harness.
    That harness is in a bind where it bolts to the back of the head. Need to use a bigger clamp or zip tie it to the outside of clamp.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    $3550 - 6 pack installed. 5+1 special from Cummins. Didn't do the harness . .. . oops - should I have?

Yup - had hilarious moment after doing accounting for this month - .71 cpm maintenance - aaaah, the tears, the laughter, the dozen beer . . .

I know - now . . . right! I laughed when the wife told me the pickup truck cost $185 for a sensor and some plugs while I was gone - IS THAT IT ??

Even nicer on the inside.

Again - my lack of confidence in myself led me to the shop. After a You-Tube video, I thought, "I can handle this!". Subsequent thoughts said " . . . better not - take it to the shop". I'd like to have 30k odd spare to buy an older truck and spend time reconditioning it, buying tools etc - problem is, that's the breadwinner in the driveway, so she needs to perform, first time - every time.

Are you kidding? That was my first thought! Dumped gallons of Algae treatment/injector cleaner/holy water in the tanks and prayed . . . it's had the blue/white smoke at idle since I bought it, so I suspected the nozzles were worn.

Aaargh! Nobody mentioned harness!!! I would have done it while they wee at it - didn't even think!

4. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Second good laugh for the day! Redds Green apple ale is quite tasty right now, a change from the heavily thrashed Rolling Rock.

icsheeple, truckon and whoopNride Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    So - I took it in to Cummins Friday morning. Talked a while with 2 of the service techs, both guessed injectors. We plugged it in to the laptop and I took a tech on a test drive, replicating the problem. 5 was at a dead miss when acting up, but 4 and 6 were pretty weak when cut-out. So, I said F - it, throw a 6 pack in (after getting a quote). $3550 total.

Job done at 11pm that night, they left it outside with the keys on the dipstick and the processed by phone paperwork in the cab.

I know I said it runs really good after the suspension upgrade and new tires, but MAN, I tell you what - what a difference the injectors made. And no blue smoke at idle. Ready to go back to work.

I guess, the guy the other day was right. "you can give it in truck payments, or maintenance, or to the IRS - take your pick". So far, I'm feeding the local economy in repairs . L O L.

Blue jeans, Gabe2790, stwik and 10 others Thank this.
  6. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Glad to hear!!

You joke, but it truly is a good thing. Had you bought a new truck, most of your money would have been channeled through insurance & financial institutions and wound up in New York, a large chunk of the rest would go out of the US where the new truck is built, and only a small fraction would go to your local dealer.

Keep it up & maybe they'll name a Sarcoxie park bench after you ;)

TruckDuo, Big_D409, icsheeple and 3 others Thank this.
  7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    3550 seems stiff, but I don't know red motors, just aqua blue ones. I got my Detroit 6 pack and harness put in for $250 labor, but I know that is atypical.

8. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Wow $3100 for just two injectors replaced and a hand primer pump the other day. Shop got me good $836 per reman injector.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    What kind of engine?

10. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Wow that is high. I know the primer pumps cost about $80 and take about 5 minutes to swap out. I can't imagine pulling and swapping injectors to be any more labor intensive than adjusting the overhead which cost $350 at my CAT house. Injectors themselves run about $600 apiece. I think if you buy all 6 you can get them for $2,500. Also 9.75% sales tax here in TN.

stwik, blairandgretchen and tsavory Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.